cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new card - issuer looking at other cards - how much info available?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

new card - issuer looking at other cards - how much info available?

Thinking aloud -- I've read on these forums that when applying for a card (or CLI), a given issuer might/will look at one's activity on other cards.

If one is on the AZEO track, am I correct in thinking that the issuer (indeed, the bureaus) wouldn't know how much one is spending, as the only amount reported would be zero or some neglible amount (i.e. - the issuer / bureaus would only know the card limits)?

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new card - issuer looking at other cards - how much info available?

That's correct -- based solely on the data furnished to and from the big three bureaus, at least.

Other than the big three, though, there are other data aggregators that may furnish data that isn't used specifically for approval or AA, but may be monitored by lenders in order to get them to look closer at a specific account holder in the near future.  Many bigger banks will furnish data more frequently (or in real time) to these risk analyzing firms who then will inform other lenders if an account holder is going bonkers on spending in a very short period of time.  The banks won't perform AA based on THESE reporting bureaus because then federal law would require disclose -- but they can PLAN for AA by monitoring these risk bureaus reports furnished to them and then if they see something sketchy on their next SP from the big three, they can commit AA based on that data.

Message 2 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think the amount of your latest payment (or the total payments made over the previous month) will show up on your report, but that's not part of scoring. Lenders can definitely see whether or not there's been activity on your other cards.

Some card issuers report detailed data, which would allow other lenders to track the consumer's behavior, i.e. whether he tends to revolve balances or pay them in full. But with only some cards doing that, it's hard for another lender to paint a complete picture.

Message 3 of 4
Gmood1
Super Contributor

It depends on the lender, some report you payments and some do not. 

For example, Penfed, Navy Fed, USAA, NASA, SDFCU, Alliant, Synchrony Bank and BBVA Compass will report your payments or scheduled payments.

Along with the balances.

Discover, Chase, BoFA, Amex, Citi, Capital One and Suntrust seem only to report the balance on the statement date. Not the amount actually charged or the amount of the payment. I'm referencing this from my EX report. TU is fairly detailed as well for the lenders that are willing to report the activity. These lenders are the ones that will most likely show zero data if you pay your balances before the statement cuts.

Which means you'll basically show no activity, which IMHO isn't what you want. If you want to grow your limits. If the highest score is what you're after. These are the lenders you can manipulate the easiest in reporting no activity.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.