Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new credit card --nedd help with payment date

tag
doctor2be
Valued Member

new credit card --nedd help with payment date

I just got a credit card form a credit union and got online banking.  I got online today and I saw that the payment date is the 25th of August. This is the only credit card I have so to get good scores I know I need to pay in full which I plan to do but I need help----------So if the payment date is the 25th of the month then when is the statement date and when do you think they report to the agencies??????? When should I spoke using my card---a few days before the payment date or before the statement date???????CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: new credit card --nedd help with payment date

Doctor----congratulations on the card.

Credit Unions can vary when they report.  Mine report at the end-of-month.

If our cu does report at the end-of-month, and if you don't mind the amount charged to report, don't worry about stopping charging.  If you don't want the amount to report, stop charging around the 20th, and transfer the total due several days before the statement cuts.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
kball64
Frequent Contributor

My credit union (NFCU) reports my statement balance each month.  The best thing to do is call your CU and ask them when they report.  Someone should be able to tell you. 

Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

doctor2be wrote:
I just got a credit card form a credit union and got online banking.  I got online today and I saw that the payment date is the 25th of August. This is the only credit card I have so to get good scores I know I need to pay in full which I plan to do but I need help----------So if the payment date is the 25th of the month then when is the statement date and when do you think they report to the agencies??????? When should I spoke using my card---a few days before the payment date or before the statement date???????CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since it's a brand-new card, they might have started your billing cycle on the date that you were approved. You probably don't have a statement yet.

Where on the online screen does it give you the payment due date? Sometimes you can back-track from there.

But your best bet is simply to call and ask. Make sure that they understand that you want to know what your statement date will be, not the due date. This confuses a lot of CSR's, because few people ever ask this question.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.