Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie advice - Choice of 2 cards

tag
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: newbie advice - Choice of 2 cards

Cancelling it does not impact AAoA, it will still positively affect it for 10 more years.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 21 of 30
jonfive
Established Member

DON'T CANCEL IT! Let it convert to unsecure and just leave it. That is your credit age right there.

Alright, i'll leave it - it doesn't incur fees so i guess it's not really important to cancel. CreditOne is what i'm worried about :/

Synchrony Amazon: 1500 | Synchrony Mavis Tire: 1900 | Chase Amazon: 2200 | Citi Doublecash (1): 500 | Citi Doublecash (2): 1000 | BestBuy: 3000 | Credit One: 2900 (closing) | Capital One Platinum: 1800 | Amex Blue: 2500 | NFCU CashRewards: 5000 | NFCU CLOC: 6000 | Paypal Credit: 2000 | Ikea: 2200 | Wellsfargo Microcenter: 1900
Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonfive wrote:

DON'T CANCEL IT! Let it convert to unsecure and just leave it. That is your credit age right there.

Alright, i'll leave it - it doesn't incur fees so i guess it's not really important to cancel. CreditOne is what i'm worried about :/

CreditOne that I would find any ways to cancel.. All things you do now is Up! Gotta get CreditOne outta there.

If I have to pay to cancel.. I would LOL

Message 23 of 30
jonfive
Established Member

CreditOne that I would find any ways to cancel.. All things you do now is Up! Gotta get CreditOne outta there.

For sure - They helped me get out of my slump, but I think it's time to part ways. It's now the worst card i have beside the limit Smiley Tongue

Synchrony Amazon: 1500 | Synchrony Mavis Tire: 1900 | Chase Amazon: 2200 | Citi Doublecash (1): 500 | Citi Doublecash (2): 1000 | BestBuy: 3000 | Credit One: 2900 (closing) | Capital One Platinum: 1800 | Amex Blue: 2500 | NFCU CashRewards: 5000 | NFCU CLOC: 6000 | Paypal Credit: 2000 | Ikea: 2200 | Wellsfargo Microcenter: 1900
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonfive wrote:

For sure - They helped me get out of my slump, but I think it's time to part ways. It's now the worst card i have beside the limit Smiley Tongue

We all started there.. I still have my Citi Secured with my own money limit at $200.

I'm far from needing it.. Just going to let it ride and see what they offer me after it graduates in Sept of 2017.

Message 25 of 30
jonfive
Established Member

Thanks everyone for your time and great advice!

Hope to get to know the ins and outs like you guys soon Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 30
BirchBarlow
Contributor

I would try for Discover.  Their rewards structure is superior to Citi and they're probably easy to get in with, having less than stellar credit.  As far as your current cards are concerned, Credit One is considered garbage around here so I wouldn't hesitate to jettison it once you add another card to mix.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Merritt Bank card... it's good for me. After 7 months I got an increase doubling my limit automatically. 

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BirchBarlow wrote:

I would try for Discover.  Their rewards structure is superior to Citi and they're probably easy to get in with, having less than stellar credit.  As far as your current cards are concerned, Credit One is considered garbage around here so I wouldn't hesitate to jettison it once you add another card to mix.

I'd snap that Citi offer up quickly. Discover might be easy for some to get in with, but the OP is certainly no shoe in. The DC is a great card, and it make sense to go ahead and get with the offer there. Certainly not worth risking inquiries and denials in the meantime.

I, too, got a somewhat surprising offer for the DC, and it was a month after Discover (and CapOne and BOA) denied me.

Discover is great, and maybe a better card for some, but the list of no AF unlimited 2% cards is a pretty tiny one. It's a pretty sweet bird in the hand for someone currently holding a secured card and a Credit One.

Message 29 of 30
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Hop on that Citi just as fast as possible.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.