cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not working Amex offer - fishing scam ?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: not working Amex offer - fishing scam ?

Finally called Amex and offer is legit but aparently not for customers with 10,49% APR already.  Smiley Mad  I try to challenge Amex customer service and told them why in the world you send me this offer in the first place  if you are not willing to grant it to me ?  They had to open  a case for this offer and I will see how this ends...... I want that 6.99% even more now ! Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

This is a legit offer...others have gotten this offer via email. Keep in mind , if you accept this offer,

you will not be able to get your regular apr reduced until the promo is up.

i probably will never get this offer as my BCE APR is 6.74%. This is My rate and not a promo , 

Enjoy your promo if you decide to accept it. 

oh wow....that is cool.. such an APR on a rewards card Smiley Happy ... mine is 10.49% and I believe will not get any lower anytime soon so the promo would not block anything during these next 12 months... I think I will call and have them add it and when it expires might give me a nice excuse to lower standard APR again Smiley Happy

I'll be honest with you, I wouldn't take it.... You can get your apr reduced in the 6% range in 3 months . But your choice .

I am not using the card often and therefore my regular APR does not get lowered below 10% ... I did receive a promo for 10,49% on that account and this was the reason I could not get the 6,99% offer applied.  My account will not be eligible for lower APR anytime soon so I will take that offer for 12 months and work on lowering next year if Amex will honor the 6.99% offer now.  This is still not certain and will be decided in the next 10-14 days.

Message 12 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: not working Amex offer - phishing scam ?

@willwar14 wrote:

my mom had a similar offer a while back, so it seems legit.

thanks..did she take it ?  and carried balance on Amex ?

Message 13 of 21
willwar14
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

i believe she did and up until recently, my mom almost always carried a balance on her amex. apr is currently 7.99% on her amex, and is coming up on her next apr redux (its the costco amex, so its interesting to see once citi gets ahold of it)

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 14 of 21
willwar14
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Finally called Amex and offer is legit but aparently not for customers with 10,49% APR already.  Smiley Mad  I try to challenge Amex customer service and told them why in the world you send me this offer in the first place  if you are not willing to grant it to me ?  They had to open  a case for this offer and I will see how this ends...... I want that 6.99% even more now ! Smiley Tongue

did you try taking it online? screw what the csr said!

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 15 of 21
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

I don't use my BCE and they still lower it for me... You can definitely get it lowered quicker than what you think. 

They em usually don't track when your last decrease was .ive gotten redux twice in one week and 5 times in 1 month...

you ou can ask every 2 weeks and sit back and watch that rate fall. Will they give it to you every time ? NO...but just keep 

trying. I ask every 2 weeks.

i have a Simoly Cash October 2015 @ 17.24% and 0% for 9 months.

i have gotten it down to 13.24% and still in the 0% promo.....

Message 16 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@willwar14 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

did you try taking it online? screw what the csr said!

Yes but then I get what is displayed on the print screens above....eligible for certain customers only Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

I don't use my BCE and they still lower it for me... You can definitely get it lowered quicker than what you think. 

They em usually don't track when your last decrease was .ive gotten redux twice in one week and 5 times in 1 month...

you ou can ask every 2 weeks and sit back and watch that rate fall. Will they give it to you every time ? NO...but just keep 

trying. I ask every 2 weeks.

@i have a Simoly Cash October 2015 @ 17.24% and 0% for 9 months.

i have gotten it down to 13.24% and still in the 0% promo.....

Thanks so much for the tip. I will try this method for my SPG and see how far I can get on that account. This is the card that would be very useful with a low APR since it does not have the FTF and could be used to split holiday charges over 2 billing statements with a good enough APR Smiley Happy   BCE is blocked for several months because I was not aware of 10,49% being only a promo APR until I got the letter. So I will need to try to change it to the 6,99% and in a year go from there if it gets approved.

Message 18 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@willwar14 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

i believe she did and up until recently, my mom almost always carried a balance on her amex. apr is currently 7.99% on her amex, and is coming up on her next apr redux (its the costco amex, so its interesting to see once citi gets ahold of it)

Interesting indeed what Citi will do with the APR when they take over.  If there is a slight chance they take over the APR everybody should now try to lower with Amex and get as  low as they possibly can Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 21
NRB525
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

There was a similar APR "Holiday Rate" offer sent by mail in November 2014. The offer reduced 19.24 to 6.99, 17.24 to 4.99 and 15.24 to 2.99 for a year. I did a mini-follow up survey at the time with folks who had those standard rates on several types of AMEX revolvers. No one with a non-standard rate got the offer. Being that your account moved off the standard rate, I'm not surprised the actual request didn't work.

Regarding getting APR reductions, that is hit or miss. Seems to work eventually, but can take some requests. My SPG is now at the 10.49% level, Delta Gold I got a 12 month temporary reduction to 18.24 that I should have declined, but oh well.

And I carried a $3k balance on the Delta Gold with the 6.99 offer, now working down from a $4k+ balance on the EDP at 0% APR so those who say AMEX don't like you to carry a balance have outdated information.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.