Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

odd decline for navy fed today

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

odd decline for navy fed today

I went to safeway to purchase a few boxes of donuts and my amex more rewards got declined. called in and no reps or the security team could push my transaction through... Navy fed stated that safeway might be having an issue because when I ran the transaction, navy fed said there was a blank merchant name linked to my donut purchases.... the rep said to try another terminal but i had already left. Has anyone experienced something weird like this before? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: odd decline for navy fed today

Could be nothing honestly but with the amount of skimming going on, I would just get it replaced regardless. Just my opinion

Message 2 of 6
RickNATL
Established Contributor

I haven't personally experienced that....

Message 3 of 6
zerofire
Valued Contributor

If Navy FCU is saying the merchant was blank that sounds like an acquirer issue or an issue with the AmEx-Navy interconnect. A computer overloaded temporary or minor link failure could mess up the data. Lastly you have an AmEx that was issued by a third party issuer. While this might not be uncalled for it is not as common as AmEx issued AmEx cards so the equipment might have complained about a number of parameters including transaction timeout.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 6
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

For me personally, I would have taken it as "back away from the donuts and nobody gets hurt!!"

But that's just me!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 5 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

These things happen sometimes... the tech isn't perfect.  Smiley Wink

A couple of years ago my USAA card was declined at Chick-Fil-A; I then tried my Quicksilver - which always works - and it declined as well. 

At this point I knew it was them and not me, and I told them so.  I got some side-eye from the cashier - they were busy and other people's cards were working with no issues - but she hesitantly switched to the next terminal over and entered my order again, this time my card (QS) was approved on the first attempt.

FWIW, I contacted USAA later that day and they showed no transaction attempt at all.  In my case it was almost certainly that specific terminal but I've had similar situations come up before so it didn't bother me too much.

TL;DR - It happens. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.