cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible to reopen old sears jcpenney etc accounts?

tag
soapdish
New Contributor

possible to reopen old sears jcpenney etc accounts?

2 questions, first about closed old good accounts, can I get them back now? I'm sure I probably should wait until scores improve, but it sure would help my util and keep my ages good, would I have any luck with back door account analysts,

anyone have an experience like this to share?

I foolishly closed the jcp, 1980, now GEMB, in 2000, its paid as agreed, falls off in 2010,
but I have a walmart GEMB CO of $201 that will be SOL in August 08, well actually it might be already, cool,

citibank closed my venerable old sears 1975 account, not sure when, that's also PAG, but I have other CO with citibank now, that's more like $2500, SOL in october 08, I think. I can still recite my sears card number from memory.

2nd question is about accounts that were paid as agreed, but I might have closed them, or they might just be open and sitting out there waiting for me to charge something ! ? !

I have a Lane Bryant / WFN account that might not be closed, and an Express account, both last used in 2001, probably

also a furniture account that shows open, I'm going to try to dig up the account number for that and see where it leads me.

has anyone had any success in firing up these old accounts again? any words of wisdom for me on how to go about it?

TIA, L
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
andrew783
Established Member

Re: possible to reopen old sears jcpenney etc accounts?

bump
Message 2 of 8
mazinaige
Regular Contributor

@soapdish wrote:
2 questions, first about closed old good accounts, can I get them back now?
anyone have an experience like this to share? I foolishly closed the jcp, 1980, now GEMB, in 2000, its paid as agreed, falls off in 2010, has anyone had any success in firing up these old accounts again? any words of wisdom for me on how to go about it?

Your post inspired me to see if I could re-open my old Gemb/JcPenny account. I called 1 800 542 0800 to ask, spoke to a nice gentleman who looked up my old account with my SSN. The account was open in 1992 and has been inactive (according to him) since 1995. (TU reports the date closed as 1999, EX and EQ do not report date closed. All three state I closed it). I explained that I just wanted to know if I could re-open the account without a hard inquiry on my credit report. He assured me that the inquiry would only be internal and if it failed then I could decide if I wanted to apply for another account which would be an actual hard inquiry on my credit report. However he said because the account is so old, 99% chance it would not be able to reopen but there was no harm in checking. So I tried to reopen it and it said no. Now I just hope that old TL doesn't fall off my CR. If it does, I will post a notice here to warn others not to breathe on old closed accounts in good standing.

FICO® TU: 703 8/07/2015, EQ: 716 8/07/2015
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i closed account because at that time i was tring to get all my credit cards aid in full. i would like to reopen my account for future purchases.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have an old account number, and would like to reactivate it where i can make purchases at sears again

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i need to open my sears account back up . i realize by not useing it in a  certain time period that the card would be closed automaticly. i need my card again to make purchases that i need i did enquire about it at sears before. please let me reactivate a account.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar experience back in December. Citi had closed my Sears card about 2 years ago. I happen to call because of Special Financing they had in December and explained that I had a card 2 years ago but it was closed. The rep said I would have to reapply. I declined and decied to go to the store anyway. I expailned to the sales clerk that I had a card but it was closed and was wondering if it could be reopened and she was so sweet and called Citi right there for me. They in turn said the same thing again that I need to reapply. I gave in to temptation Smiley Tongue and reapplied and was approved on spot for 3K. Hope this helpsSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

this thread is 5 years old! JUST an fyi. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.