Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

propel card questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

propel card questions

I keep getting offers for this card, and I am on the fence, but I have a few questions.

1. I probably know the answer to this already. Would it be possible to transfer my CL from my Cash Magnet to this card? I'm guessing probably not, but never hurts to ask.
  2. Does the Gas category include Kroger fuel centers?
  3. Anyone know if Directv Now, or any of the streaming live tv providers, is included in the streaming services category (aside from Hulu).
  4. What could I generally expect for non travel redemption value of the rewards?
  5. is it contactless?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: propel card questions

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep getting offers for this card, and I am on the fence, but I have a few questions.

1. I probably know the answer to this already. Would it be possible to transfer my CL from my Cash Magnet to this card? I'm guessing probably not, but never hurts to ask.
  3. Anyone know if Directv Now, or any of the streaming live tv providers, is included in the streaming services category (aside from Hulu).
  4. What could I generally expect for non travel redemption value of the rewards?

Thanks!

I can only answer your first question.  The answer is no as you suspected.  The Cash Magnet is issued by Centurion  Bank (Amex) while the Propel runs on the Amex payment network but is issued by WF.

Edit - I can also answer #5.  No

Message 2 of 8
rbentley
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

I can only answer your first question.  The answer is no as you suspected.  The Cash Magnet is issued by Centurion  Bank (Amex) while the Propel runs on the Amex payment network but is issued by WF.

Edit - I can also answer #5.  No

I can also answer #6.  Maybe.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

5. is it contactless?

Thanks!

1, no

2, not sure, never tried

3, don't know

4, 1cpp, even with travel its only 1.5cpp if you have a visa siggy (or you pool points to someone with visa siggy)

5, i asked, at least they said no for me, although I did read somewhere that it exists. You can always put it on google pay, actually more secure with a virtual number.

Message 4 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The first Propel cards were not contactless, but when they reissued everyone's cards back in the fall due to defective chips the new card did come as contactless.

Here's the back of my Propel card (contactless logo in bottom corner):

PropelContacless.png

The points are worth 1¢ each unless you have a WF Visa Signature, in which case you can transfer the points to the Visa and redeem at a higher rate using the WF travel portal.  (I don't have the Visa Signature so I am unable to elaborate on this.)

DoC mentions redeeming points via a Visa signature here:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/revamped-wells-fargo-propel-to-launch-on-july-16th-with-3x-dining-gas...

As for DirecTV Now I'm not sure if that would be counted as 'streaming' or not (for bonus purposes) since it's not explicitly stated.  Hopefully somebody else will be able to contribute a data point. 

I'm also not sure about Kroger for fuel; if the Propel behaves like other Amex (Centurion Bank) cards then Kroger won't count, but otherwise it will.  While my local Kroger doesn't trigger the fuel category for my BCP it does for my Sam's Club MasterCard (although it's not supposed to) so how the Propel codes at Kroger might be YMMV anyway based on location.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, that clears up a lot.

I kind of figured that would be the case with the Cash Magnet, but hey...no harm in trying Smiley Happy

I'm still curious about the other streaming services (sling, psvue, directv now, etc.). It seems like they would be included, but as was mentioned they aren't specifically mentioned.

I have the same experience with the Kroger fuel centers. My BCP codes it as a 1% charge, but my Prime Visa counts it as a 2% fuel charge.

Hopefully someone can chime in with experience with this.

Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone, that clears up a lot.

I kind of figured that would be the case with the Cash Magnet, but hey...no harm in trying Smiley Happy

Well, no harm in trying but the point should be made clear for all!   Unless there is some relationship between the issuers, it's NEVER going to possible to transfer a CL from one issuer to another, such as Chase to Citi.   (Balances can be transferred of course, which is simply one issuer paying off your obligation to another).   

And in this case, you need to distinguish issuer from network.    Since there is no Visa Bank or Mastercard Bank, the confusion only arises with Amex (and to a much smaller extent to Discover).   None of the good things associated with cards issued by Amex (3x CLI, SP new card etc) will necessarily apply to a card ithat runs on the Amex networkbut is issued by another bank

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The gas category is for fuel stations that are billed as a fuel purchase. For example, if you use the card at a Sam’s Club gas station, you will not get those gas points because it as billed as a Sam’s Club purchase. I don’t know if Kroger is the same way but I’d definitely check.

The streaming services they give you 3x points on include (via their website):
Apple Music
Hulu
Netflix
Pandora®
Sirius XM Radio Inc.
Spotify Premium

Not sure if those are the only ones or not.
Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.