Oldest account is 24 years.

AAoA is about my age. -> 18 years old. 

Message 11 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: question about amex au

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on the scoring model.

The scoring model does not change the data on the credit report.  How the TL is reported depends on how the creditor reports.  CK and myFICO may present the data differently but the report data is the same.

@Anonymous wrote:

Does bank of america let AU's inherit payment history?

With most creditors the AU's get the payment history ot the TL.  That said, not all creditors and scoring models/situations consider accounts where one is an AU so one really needs to build on'es own TL's.

AmEx is a bit unusual in how they handle AU's and how the TL's report for the AU's.  What the OP experienced is normal for AmEx.

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont know how this Amex "backdating" worked and don't understand why everyone rode them so hard for it when it seems Discover and Capital One do the same.

They're not the same at all.  As stated above, being an AU is not always of benefit as such TL's are not always considered.  Backdating is always considered since backdated accounts belong to the individual.  Backdating means that the account reports as opened prior to the date it was actually opened but a newly opened backdated account won't have any payment history whereas a TL where one is added as an AU will probably have payment history.  It may seem that being an AU is a better deal but the creditors and scoring models have long been aware that people have been trying to piggyback and that's why such accounts are not always considered.

In any case, it really doesn't matter much since backdating is no longer available.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: question about amex au

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Cap is the only one I know of that gives you the whole account history . Discover might too but I can't recall right now .

I can confirm Discover does. Just added myself to my dad's 1997 card a couple weeks ago. I have the whole history on my CR.

I am an authorized user on my grandmas 1995 discover card but it doesn't even report on my credit report. When I called discover they said that I had to be a co-card holder in order to recieve any credit bureau reporting. Is that what you are, a co-holder?

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.