Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about discover it secured card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

question about discover it secured card

if i close my account with discover after  2 months of having the card and paying everything... can i get my 200 deposit back?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: question about discover it secured card

You should its your money on deposit. I would call and speak to a CSR and they can guide you through it. 

It may take up to month to get the deposit back.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of curiosity, why do you want to close it so soon?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

because i dont need credit and besides that my debit card gives me 7% cash back

Message 4 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

That is some debit card

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough on the debit card and I agree, that's a helluva debit card. Are you sure you won't need credit, even for a home or car? Having a no-fee Discover could help you maintain a good score with minimal use and facilitate loans for larger purchases in the future...

Message 6 of 7
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I would suggest keeping it open simply to have more options down the road. You may be able to avoid using credit forever or you may find that you wish you had built up credit at some point. I would guess the latter is more likely than the former, but who knows. But by keeping the card open and using it every now and then and making sure it's always paid on time, you will lose very little (few percent of a few dollars = a few pennies) and possibly gain a lot in future years. You also will get the deposit back without needing to close the account when the card unsecures, which may happen as soon as this fall. JMO as a former "no credit only debit lifestyle" person.

To answer the question, though, yes, the deposit is your money. If you close the card and have a $0 balance, what will happen is that they will wait a few weeks to make sure there are no delayed charges on the card, and then mail you a check for your deposit amount.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.