cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about someone changing tip value.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

question about someone changing tip value.

i meant to post in general questions sorry about that if a mod doesn't mind moving it for me.

technically this is a debit card question but it's pretty much the same.

so me and my girlfriend went out to eat at a mexican resteraunt sunday the 15th of may, the service was horrible and they placed us right next to the entrance where everyone walks in. the meal came out to be 27.86, i gave them my card to swipe and brought it back so i could sign the receipt at this time i'm already pissed off so i just left a .14 cent tip to make it an even 28.00$. on wednesday the 18th of may I go online and see that they charged me 35.86$.  I didn't tip 8$ for **bleep**ty service and i know for a fact i put .14 cents. is there a way to get legal compensation? i know 8$ isn't a lot but it's still fraud.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Re: question about someone changing tip value.

Go to the restaurant with your bank statement and card and talk to the manager or the owner and ask for the receipt, match the signature and ask for compensation. Somebody should get fired but it still can be an accident. If they give you crap just call the cops and raise hell. Give updates on the situation if you can, people think they are slick with these cards.

Message 2 of 37
brian2220
Regular Contributor

Is it still pending or has it posted.
I had the same problem when I put gas in a year or 2 ago I wanted to put 30 but they put a hold on 50 but it after it cleared it was 30
My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

you need your copy to compare with the one they have on file..second if it's altered the server have a big problem and will be fired. now as a long time ex bartender and server i ask why leave .14 ? oh wait i know  <shaking head>

Message 4 of 37
Woolfman
Established Contributor

If you have your copy. Everyones advice is bad.

If you have your copy. Get a copy of the posted charge and call or go to the police. This is theft/fraud it is a criminal offense and the person that commited this should be thrown in jail.

Message 5 of 37
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Hate to be like this, but frankly, I can see how they would be so livid after working their ... off all night, being dog tired, and then looking at that receipt to see that they had basically been serving you for free.

That being said, if they did change the amount, that was dumb as hell.  I don't know about jail, but they should be fired.  And you should stop eating out.  Stick to McDonald's.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 37
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Can't figure out why people are criticizing for leaving a piss poor tip. If the service sucks then the person doesn't deserve/earn a tip. You don't leave a tip just to leave a tip, you leave one because your server has earned it.

OP: If I were you, I would go to the restuarant as well as the police. Who knows if you are the first person it's happened to.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could that restaurant have been one of those that automatically include a gratuity?  I'm not a big fan of that policy (automatic tips.)  It subsidizes poor performance.

Message 8 of 37
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Could that restaurant have been one of those that automatically include a gratuity?  I'm not a big fan of that policy (automatic tips.)  It subsidizes poor performance.

If so, that's a seriously generous gratuity!

Edited to add:  usually I see that with parties more than 6 or 8

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

I think you can call your credit card company and ask that they look into it.  I'd also consider filing a police report and calling the manager. 

This is not the case here, but I feel it needs to be said: 

BTW, as a former server (yes, that's what they're called), I can tell you that there are plenty of times when I've given excellent service and gotten a crappy tip - frequently the most demanding customers are the stingiest, meanest people.  Ask any server how they feel about Sundays and if they feel free to talk, they will tell you that Sundays is when people come in after church, treat you like total crap, demand everything under the sun, don't control their kids, act like they're the only people you're waiting on, leave the biggest mess, and leave you a tract (religious literature about how you're going to hell or how you need to find Jesus) for your trouble INSTEAD OF MONEY.  Because, really, *you're* the bad person for working on a Sunday and if only you had heard of Jesus, you'd be better.  On late shifts, like at Denny's during bar rush, people will leave you a penny after you give them excellent service.  Not all customers, but definitely enough that if you aren't resilient, you won't remain a good server for long. 

Also, as a server, you have to really eff up or piss me off to get a crappy tip from me. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.