cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about someone changing tip value.

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: question about someone changing tip value.

We don't all agree with the OP (and OP, you could've asked to have your seat moved), however, the point is OP's credit card has almost $8 more than what they charged/allowed. 

I would wait until it's not pending, see what the real total is, then call your credit card company.  I don't see much positive happening by going back to the restaurant.  They suddenly may not be able to "find" the receipt.  I'm sure you'll get a whirlwind of responses on this one.  This happened to my friend once at a deli.  I admit, I do not scrutinize my statements after going to restaurants and perhaps I should.  Businesses can make a lot of money even charging a $1 more per customer.   

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 37
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

This happens A LOT but before you blow it out of epic porportions I would make sure when it posts that it's the correct amount.  If it is not, take your receipt and a copy of your statement and head to the restaurant and talk to the manager.  This has worked 100% of the time.  Don't get pissed off and rude with the manager.  Don't demand that the waiter be fired.  That's the restaurants business.  Just ask for it to be fixed.

By the way, some advice for what I do:

If I pay with credit and leave a cash tip, I write CASH on the tip line.

If I pay with credit and leave no tip, I write NO TIP or ZERO on the line.  Don't put something like 14 cents because they can manipulate the numbers.

If I pay with credit and leave a credit tip, I always leave an amount that makes an flat total, for example, $32.00, so it is easy to spot.

The waiters can easily turn 3's into 8's or 7's into 9's, etc.

Message 12 of 37
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just a note, because this does remove one option:

OP said that he paid with a debit card, not a credit card. That removes the option of going through the credit card company.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 37
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

We weren't in OP's shoes, but even if service was stellar and I gave a stellar tip and they added a few extra just for kicks, I'd be upset too. Bad service and larceny/theft are two different things and should be viewed seperately in an example like this.

If I had that happen, I would see the manager too. Yes $8 is nothing, but imagine that person doing it to everyone. If I didn't get a refund on the spot I would say that a crime was committed and that I have no choice but to file a police report and see what the manager says now. Just make sure you never go there again.

Message 14 of 37
DI
Super Contributor

The restaurant can say they misread your writing.    I honestly think they made a mistake. Or it could be the bank that made the mistake.   Filing a police report isn't necessary.  This is something that can be handled by the restaurant's manager.  An $8.00 typo isn't worth getting a police involved when it can be handled amongst the parties involved.  That's what an educated person would do. 

Message 15 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

I don't think anyone's advocated not doing something - there seems to be some posters who think that's the case.

Debit cards have fraud departments, too - you can still contest a debit card transaction.  Waiting for it to post would probably be a good idea. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

We weren't in OP's shoes, but even if service was stellar and I gave a stellar tip and they added a few extra just for kicks, I'd be upset too. Bad service and larceny/theft are two different things and should be viewed seperately in an example like this.

If I had that happen, I would see the manager too. Yes $8 is nothing, but imagine that person doing it to everyone. If I didn't get a refund on the spot I would say that a crime was committed and that I have no choice but to file a police report and see what the manager says now. Just make sure you never go there again. 

+1

Assuming it isn't just a temporary hold that will be released when the payment clears, it's either a) a mistake that the manager should quickly remedy, or b) fraud/theft, which is a crime that would require a police report. The amount in question is immaterial, if it's a crime. One patron may be out "only" $8 bucks, but a crook, disguised as a server, has more than likely done it to others, and has plans to do it again... until they get caught.

Message 17 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah the payment has cleared for 35.86, there is no way they misread my hand writing for and 8$ tip lol. im about to go up to the restaraunt now. i'll keep you guys posted.

Message 18 of 37
laz98
Senior Contributor

please keep us posted!  i hate people who think they can get away with that sort of thing.  i have no idea how they could possibly have turned .14 into 8.00 Smiley Mad

also, sorry this got turned into a "you're a crappy tipper" thread Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 37
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah the payment has cleared for 35.86, there is no way they misread my hand writing for and 8$ tip lol. im about to go up to the restaraunt now. i'll keep you guys posted.

Interesting.. Go get'em!!  They are wrong and bold to do something like that if it wasn't a mistake. 

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.