cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about someone changing tip value.

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: question about someone changing tip value.

@laz98 wrote:

please keep us posted!  i hate people who think they can get away with that sort of thing.  i have no idea how they could possibly have turned .14 into 8.00 Smiley Mad

also, sorry this got turned into a "you're a crappy tipper" thread Smiley Sad

Same here, Laz.    If the OP feel the service he received is worth only .14 cents that's his decision.  If the server feel they deserved  more than .14 cents, then they need to change profession. 

Message 21 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

To clarify, I don't think the OP is a crappy tipper - I'm sure the server earned the $0.14.  Even if it were a crappy tip, there's no excuse to steal money. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Woolfman wrote:

If you have your copy. Everyones advice is bad.

If you have your copy. Get a copy of the posted charge and call or go to the police. This is theft/fraud it is a criminal offense and the person that commited this should be thrown in jail.

That may not always work.

Depending on how the restaurant processes credit card transactions, your copy of the voucher may be useless in documenting how much of an actual tip, if any, you left. 

Virtually every restaurant I have been in brings you a copy of the voucher to sign with a blank space for a tip.  After you have filled in the blank and signed the voucher they then give you back your card and a copy of the voucher that does not indicate what the tip was.  Just because you wrote, say, $1.00 on your copy does not prove that is what you wrote on the merchant's copy.

Your bank has access to the original cvoucher as submitted by the merchant.  If it shows signs of alteration, they will go to bat for you.  I would also file a police report as altering the voucher is forgery.

Message 23 of 37
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

this happened to me a couple weeks ago at applebees with my chase card I called up chase and they fixed it immediately and issued a credit on my account. I called applebees and told them and they offered me a $20 gift certificate for the inconvenience because the situation was similar the service was horrible and the bill was $24 and i left a $2 and the tip ended up being $14 more so I got a free $20 out of it and my $14 difference back too. they told me that there was another similar amount check that got mixed up with mine which I couldnt understand someone with a bill around $20 leaving a $16 tip for that person especially when she was not a very good server at all.

amazon
Message 24 of 37
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

yeah, this guys a real -nono- and probably deserved the .14 cent tip, and hopefully gets fired.

however, i once was a server and have had my fair share of the nasty, self-righteous, self centered pricks that think the world is theirs to abuse and exploit.

But you should NEVER, EVER leave a 0.14 tip. leave 5 percent if the server was a -nono- , because he also has to pay out to the hostess and busboys. they get tipped regardless of their level of service.

then again, if the server was a hateful -nono- , maybe i would have left a penny. (no. i would still leave 5 percent, regardless of how awful.)

but it is terrible for a guy at dennys to leave a penny when they have been well served. may they get paid a penny for their days work.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 25 of 37
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I'm not reading through all of the posts, so forgive me if this has already been said, but it is possible that this is still a pending authorization and has not cleared your bank yet. I have had that happen with restaurants and gas stations. Sometimes they will get an authorization for an estimated amount because they don't know how much the total will be (e.g. food total with tax and tip), so they estimate high to be sure there are enough funds being held to cover the total charges.

If you find out from your bank that it has in fact cleared for the total amount, then you can file a claim with your bank. Each bank is a little different in how they do this.With some you can do it over the phone and with others you need to go in person to the bank. You have your receipt as proof of the amount (write in the total with the tip, if you haven't already since the receipt will only have the total for food and tax).

Debit card claims are done differently than credit cards. Your bank will do an investigation and the likelihood is that you will receive the money bank. You can also file a complaint with your state's Attorney General/Consumer Protection Dept., which will pressure the business to do the right thing and refund your money. Be sure to give a copy of the complain to your bank when you file the claim with them, as this will help them to get your money back (it's just gives your bank a little more ammunition to fight on your behalf.)

I've had to do this a couple of times for different reasons than yours, but in both instances got my money back (and it was in the hundred of dollars).

Best of luck!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 26 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

the whole restaurant tip bulljunk pisses me off. I have left poor tips before to the amount of one dollar if the service is that terrible. I frequently find me and my gf going to places where you can service your self and not have to depend on drugie servers. Such places like calistoga and panera bread, moes, and other places like that. I don't servers deserve the tips that they get, they spend a whole period of 1-2 minutes on your table and they expect 10 bucks. Right. 

Message 27 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

Thank you for opting to go somewhere else.  They're getting half of minimum wage and the "1-2 minutes" of time they spend at your table is definitely not the amount of time they spend on your table.  Not all of the time they're getting paid that wage includes time with customers and the hourly wage doesn't go up for setup etc, nor do you see the work they do while you're there to make sure everything's right.  Some servers suck or are dishonest, like OP's, but that's not the majority of them IME waiting tables.

@Anonymous wrote:

the whole restaurant tip bulljunk pisses me off. I have left poor tips before to the amount of one dollar if the service is that terrible. I frequently find me and my gf going to places where you can service your self and not have to depend on drugie servers. Such places like calistoga and panera bread, moes, and other places like that. I don't servers deserve the tips that they get, they spend a whole period of 1-2 minutes on your table and they expect 10 bucks. Right. 

Message 28 of 37
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

If the server changed the tip, the appropriate way to handle it is to speak with the management of the restaurant, just like you should have spoken with the management about the level of service you were, or were not, receiving.  The servers work for less than minimum wage and, as previously noted,  they are required to tip out the bus staff as well as the bar, and in some cases the hostess, based on their sales, not their tips. 

That being said, waiting tables is one of those jobs everyone should do at least once for the experience.  There's nothing quite like waiting on people who run your tail off for kicks; teenagers who sit at your table for three hours while sipping on their coke after finishing their spaghetti marinara split four ways and leaving a $0.25 tip.  Or those whose children are absolutely out of control and running around the restaurant  while the server is carrying 50 pounds of hot food balanced on their shoulder.

I'm of the opinion that 20% of the check is the minimum tip and if you can't leave 20% ,you probably should go to self-serve establishments.

Message 29 of 37
mauve
Valued Contributor

If the server changed the tip, I'm still advocating dealing with management AND the fraud route - this is probably not the only instance and the responsible party should be fired at the least, charged with a crime at the most.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.