cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about someone changing tip value.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: question about someone changing tip value.

In the interest of being kind to the OP, and keeping the thread on track, why don't we take the discussions of how much to tip (or not) to SmorgasBoard? That way, the issue of being overcharged (due to error or fraud), and how to pursue resolution can stay front and center in this thread.

I'll even go start a new thread. Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I waited tables the owner/operator kept copies of all of the charge slips with his records.  He also had the manager that collected the money and slips at the end of the shift verify the tips.   When it came down to someone's total not equaling what he wrote, the rule of thumb is "assume the customer can't add."    So if a person's bill was 24.15 and they put d $4.85 for tip and totalled it out to 28.00, we only got to keep the 3.85 because the final number is treated like cash. 

We had a customer come in one time to dispute a bill, the owner had to produce the charge slip or return the money.  (Luckily it was the next day so when the guy came in and said he didn't make the charge the owner was able to pull up footage of his son and his son's girlfriend having dinner and she wrote out the tip and amount and the son signed it.   The man couldn't dispute it because he HAD authorized his son to use his card.)   Apparently the girlfriend was a big tipper.     Lucky server.  Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 37
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

In the interest of being kind to the OP, and keeping the thread on track, why don't we take the discussions of how much to tip (or not) to SmorgasBoard? That way, the issue of being overcharged (due to error or fraud), and how to pursue resolution can stay front and center in this thread.

I'll even go start a new thread. Smiley Happy

A great idea! And I'll volunteer to move any future off topic post over there.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 33 of 37
OnWayUpinTexas
Regular Contributor

1.  OP, definitely talk to/call the restaurant manager, as you indicated you would do.  After 13 years in the restaurant business, IMO unless the place is completely disreputable, what a previous poster said about an Applebee's experience will be the likely outcome -- the restaurant will apologize, refund the money, and otherwise compensate you in some way.  Then, they will (or at least I would and did in my experience) take a harder look at the server's checkouts (either in the past or going forward) to see if there are other alterations in the charge slips that they can identify.  Or, they may just fire the server for that one occurrence.  This happens more often than you would think--it certainly won't be the restaurant's first time dealing with this type of thing.  Dishonest servers get hired, just like dishonest employees at every place of business.  (We had a server that was charging customers for margaritas at our Mexican food restaurant, but never ringing them up--just manually adding the amount of the drinks to the check and collecting and pocketing the money for them.  When we discovered it, we went back and checked his old order tickets--he hadn't rung up a margarita in 6 months!  In a Mexican food restaurant!) 

2.  It is not worth your or their time to involve the police and/or attorney general, etc. if you get satisfaction from the restaurant.  If you live in a major metro area, good luck getting the police to pay attention to it.  (You could, of course, file a police report as some posters suggeted, but I would let the restaurant handle this first.)

Do let us know the outcome!

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
Message 34 of 37
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@bichonmom wrote:

I'm not reading through all of the posts, so forgive me if this has already been said, but it is possible that this is still a pending authorization and has not cleared your bank yet. I have had that happen with restaurants and gas stations. Sometimes they will get an authorization for an estimated amount because they don't know how much the total will be (e.g. food total with tax and tip), so they estimate high to be sure there are enough funds being held to cover the total charges.

If you find out from your bank that it has in fact cleared for the total amount, then you can file a claim with your bank. Each bank is a little different in how they do this.With some you can do it over the phone and with others you need to go in person to the bank. You have your receipt as proof of the amount (write in the total with the tip, if you haven't already since the receipt will only have the total for food and tax).

Debit card claims are done differently than credit cards. Your bank will do an investigation and the likelihood is that you will receive the money bank. You can also file a complaint with your state's Attorney General/Consumer Protection Dept., which will pressure the business to do the right thing and refund your money. Be sure to give a copy of the complain to your bank when you file the claim with them, as this will help them to get your money back (it's just gives your bank a little more ammunition to fight on your behalf.)

I've had to do this a couple of times for different reasons than yours, but in both instances got my money back (and it was in the hundred of dollars).

Best of luck!

Now this is an interesting possibility, one of those strange things that sometimes happens with debit cards. I remember a long thread a year or two ago about huge pending authorizations on debit cards that were used at gas stations.

Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon for people to alter receipts, though. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable
Moved:

I'm moving this to the tip discussion on SmorgasBoard

Message 36 of 37
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Personally, I find it works best to put the meal on a card, CLEARLY put a line through the "tip" portion & have the meal amount in the total.  All my tips are cash only.  That way I cover my backside & they can report whatever portion they choose to the proper folks.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.