Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about me being an AU

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

questions about me being an AU

So am I understanding this correctly? I've only had my cards about 3 months so what if my parents who have had perfect payment history for the past ten years or so added me as AU to one of their cards? Would that shoot my AAOA through the roof or what would that do to benefit me? They only have 2 cards one through bofa and the other one is chase.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: questions about me being an AU

It will improve your AAoA (so long as they both report AUs, and I think they do but have not checked), but as to how much it will improve, that depends on how many other tradelines you have on your report.  Assuming you have only credit cards, and assuming you have only two credit cards that are 3 months old, if you add both of your parents cards, your AAoA goes to just over 5 years.  If you have three cards, it is just over 4 years.  Four cards, three and a half years.  And so on.

You just have to sum the age of all of the accounts on your report and then divide by the number of accounts.  You didn't mention car loans, student loans, etc., but include those if you have any.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I have 3 cards with no loans or car payments or anything. So if I got added my AAOA would be 4 years? What would that do to my score?
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rootpooty wrote:
I have 3 cards with no loans or car payments or anything. So if I got added my AAOA would be 4 years? What would that do to my score?

If they added you as AU on just one of their cards it should bring your AAoA's to 2.5 years (FICO rounds down AAoA's) so your AAoA's would be 2 years.

If they added you on both cards your AAoA's would be 4.9 yrs, actually 4 yrs because of the rounding down. (hoping my math is correct Smiley Surprised)

Not only would it help your AAoA's it will help you with util, because you will also inherit their CL or CL's if you were added on both.

But to tell you what kind of increase you would see is just a guess and only a guess, and my guess would be anywhere from 0-25 points YMMV

When I was added as AU on my Fathers AmEx opened in 84, I had pretty close to the same profile you have, but I had 4 cards, and they were just a tad older than yours, and I gained 27 points TU and like 22 points EQ.

One thing that I believe, being an AU is not going to make it any easier to get a better CC or higher limits, because I firmly believe that when apping for a CC the CCC you are apping with will not take the AU accounts into consideration when making their decision, I may be way wrong here, but, based on my experiences in the past, having my Fathers 27 yr old card (16K CL) did not net me huge CL's or instant approvals, yes it raised my scores but the creditors want to really see your history, not your parents history.

Just my .02 cents.

EDITED: to correct my math I was wrong (I think LOL) I think I have it right this time

Message 4 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

If they added you as AU on just one of their cards it should bring your AAoA's to 2.5 years (FICO rounds down AAoA's) so your AAoA's would be 2 years.

If they added you on both cards your AAoA's would be 4.9 yrs, actually 4 yrs because of the rounding down. (hoping my math is correct Smiley Surprised)

Not only would it help your AAoA's it will help you with util, because you will also inherit their CL or CL's if you were added on both.

But to tell you what kind of increase you would see is just a guess and only a guess, and my guess would be anywhere from 0-25 points YMMV

When I was added as AU on my Fathers AmEx opened in 84, I had pretty close to the same profile you have, but I had 4 cards, and they were just a tad older than yours, and I gained 27 points TU and like 22 points EQ.

One thing that I believe, being an AU is not going to make it any easier to get a better CC or higher limits, because I firmly believe that when apping for a CC the CCC you are apping with will not take the AU accounts into consideration when making their decision, I may be way wrong here, but, based on my experiences in the past, having my Fathers 27 yr old card (16K CL) did not net me huge CL's or instant approvals, yes it raised my scores but the creditors want to really see your history, not your parents history.

Just my .02 cents.

EDITED: to correct my math I was wrong (I think LOL) I think I have it right this time

On the math, not sure what you were using, but assuming parents cards are exactly 10 years old, its 240 months for parents cards, then 9 months for his cards, 249 months divided by 5 is 49.8, divide that by  12 for years, and it is 4.15 years.  That's why I said just over 4 years.  You got 4.9 years, so maybe we are using different assumptions about the age of his parents cards.  

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

Just my .02 cents.

On the math, not sure what you were using, but assuming parents cards are exactly 10 years old, its 240 months for parents cards, then 9 months for his cards, 249 months divided by 5 is 49.8, divide that by  12 for years, and it is 4.15 years.  That's why I said just over 4 years.  You got 4.9 years, so maybe we are using different assumptions about the age of his parents cards.  

I had the same exact calculations as you did up to the point I highlighted red, I knew I was forgetting something, as you can see I had the 49.8 and that's where I came up with 4.9 yrs, I forgot about the divide that by 12 part.

Thank you Walt_K for refreshing my memory on how to calculate AAoA's.

Message 6 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

So would I benefit at all by being an AU on the cards?

Message 7 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
So would I benefit at all by being an AU on the cards?

Maybe.  You're likely to see at least some score increase from the added age.  The increased credit limit will help with your utilization, but if your parents run their cards at high utilization, that will negatively affect you.  Even if they pay their bills in full every month, if they wait until after their statement cuts to pay their bills, that could have you showing high utilization. 

For example, let's say your parents have a CL of $5K on one of the cards but they charge about $3-$4K per month.  If they wait until after they get their bill to pay, like most people, that card is going to report at 60-75% utilization every month.  Your overall utilization will depend on total balance reported divided by total credit limits.

If I had to guess, unless your parents are running very high balances constantly, on the whole, this will help you.  As long as you're not in a time crunch, there's no downside to adding them.  If it hurts your score, you can always cancel the AU cards and have them removed from your report.  It may take a few months to have them removed, and sometimes you have to file a dispute, so be careful if you are doing this with the intent to apply for some big purchase in the near term.  But if you just want to see how it will affect your score and you have time to have them removed if you don't like it, go ahead.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.