cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Annual Salary and Wages" on CC application?

tag
-Nate-

"Annual Salary and Wages" on CC application?

I'm planning on applying for a CC soon and I'm unsure of what I should put in the "Annual Salary and Wages" field since I'm a student and self-employed.

Is it asking for my income last year, my estimated income for this calendar year, or my estimated income for the next 12 months?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: "Annual Salary and Wages" on CC application?

Income last year. Basically because if they have any questions they will request your taxes from last year. Chances are as a student they won't ask for any tax forms because they know you are in school and do not make a lot.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 9
john398
Senior Contributor

I usually put down my estimated income for the current year but I am not self employed or a student

Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

My DD is a grad student and also works as an intern -Cap 1 required her tax returns to prove her income.
Message 4 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If W2: whatever your last two paystubs say you make, or tax return reported income.

Anything else: go by tax returns generally as that's what they'll ask for if you ever have to verify.

If you are making more than you did last year, can't justify it via paystubs, and can make a credible argument that you will continue to receive that amount, I'd probably put it down and if they called me on it, produce a lot more documentation though it'd admittedly be awkward.

Don't make it more complicated than it is: whatever you feel comfortable stating to a judge that you make, that's reasonable to put down; if you don't feel comfortable doing that (perjury or otherwise) don't put that value down.

        
Message 5 of 9
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@john398 wrote:

I usually put down my estimated income for the current year but I am not self employed or a student

I'm a law student and I've put my expected income on all of my applications, most were approved without requesting evidence. Citi was the only one that asked for proof.  I sent in my post-grad job offer and was approved. Although the limit was a lot less than I expected. I assume that if I actually had payslips my limit would have been higher. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 6 of 9
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

On a similarly related but slightly different note:

Gross or net?

The logical/obvious answer would be net, because who cares what you make gross, it is what you take home that shows your ability to pay debt(s).

However, obviously unless otherwise specifically stated ("state your NET income") or something, is it immoral to leave it open to interpretation and give your gross?

Just to play devil's advocate here, I'd say the logic would be: ill give you my gross pay, because what i pay in taxes is none of your business. (or something?)

I think most companies do ask for net specifically, for obvious reasons, but I have certainly come across apps where this was not clear.

What i did find kind of interesting was that NFCU specifically asked for my gross pay, so i was happy to give em my "inflated" number =).

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@xerostatus wrote:

On a similarly related but slightly different note:

Gross or net?

The logical/obvious answer would be net, because who cares what you make gross, it is what you take home that shows your ability to pay debt(s).

However, obviously unless otherwise specifically stated ("state your NET income") or something, is it immoral to leave it open to interpretation and give your gross?

Just to play devil's advocate here, I'd say the logic would be: ill give you my gross pay, because what i pay in taxes is none of your business. (or something?)

I think most companies do ask for net specifically, for obvious reasons, but I have certainly come across apps where this was not clear.

What i did find kind of interesting was that NFCU specifically asked for my gross pay, so i was happy to give em my "inflated" number =).

Consumer / personal cards it's all gross income.  Always to my knowledge.  Federal / state taxes aren't that complicated for the majority of people for a lender to napkin math it.

Also remember both EX and EQ report payments too, so a lender can get a very easy back of the hand assessment of your spend and ability to repay.  These days most things for CC users go through their credit cards other than rent or mortgage and a few other things; it's just not a long walk.

Actually I'd suggest even on business applications it's gross income as well; business expenses are effectively deductions on taxes anyway.

In any event where have you seen net income asked for?  AFAIK it never has been, ever, when it comes to any product: credit card, auto, or mortgage loan.

        
Message 8 of 9
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

hmmm.. i do recall once I recon'd an app, and when they asked for income i replied, "before or after taxes?" so i can clarify. The rep said, after.

Maybe thats where i'm remembering this from.

Well, if gross is the defacto standard, that makes me feel better.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.