Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Are you as excited as we are?"

I'm glad you finally received it. Best of luck meeting your spend!!!

Message 12 of 20
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

"I haven't been this excited since my last root canal!"

Capital One...what's in your sock drawer?

Message 13 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Viking commercials? I don't remember those.

RedMiniStapler beat me to it!

Oh, your new Venture!  Congrats!  Great card, and has always been one of my favorites.

Some general tips from my years of using it:

1.  The travel credits are extremely broad - bus passes, parking, and even tolls may count.

2.  GC redemptions - For approximate cash value, may redeem for Shell/Exxon ($100 increments) and sell at Cardpool for 85% cash value + additional 4% (net 88% - 90% cash) value if through topcashback.

3.  Awesome when Venture (One) is combined with the legacy (if you have one) Cap One miles checking, which allows for transfer into Venture's miles for the higher redemptions.

Also, while I neither discourage nor encourage this, I've found that if I were to charge, say, $50 for a train pass, there were times when I can redeem that for a full cash credit multiple times.  Not sure if it were a temprorary glitch, but it seemed like a flaw in the redemption system.  But, you may find this practice...er...less than upright, I suppose.  However, I didn't come across anything in the T&C where it was a "violation" to take advantage of their system inefficiencies.

Good luck!  And, enjoy your new card!

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I was excited when mine came as well.

Message 15 of 20
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Thanks all! To all the others who received their new card as well, good luck!

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 16 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Thanks all! To all the others who received their new card as well, good luck!

Also, unless you're playing with the "Marquess of Queensberry rules" before you pay your annual fee next year, call and ask if they'd consider a "courtesy adjustment" to cover it.  It's been granted to me the last 2 years.

Good luck!

*Edited*  I just ask them to PC to the Venture One, whereupon they say it isn't possible and offer to waive the fee.

Message 17 of 20
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Oh, your new Venture!  Congrats!  Great card, and has always been one of my favorites.

Some general tips from my years of using it:

1.  The travel credits are extremely broad - bus passes, parking, and even tolls may count.

2.  GC redemptions - For approximate cash value, may redeem for Shell/Exxon ($100 increments) and sell at Cardpool for 85% cash value + additional 4% (net 88% - 90% cash) value if through topcashback.

3.  Awesome when Venture (One) is combined with the legacy (if you have one) Cap One miles checking, which allows for transfer into Venture's miles for the higher redemptions.

Also, while I neither discourage nor encourage this, I've found that if I were to charge, say, $50 for a train pass, there were times when I can redeem that for a full cash credit multiple times.  Not sure if it were a temprorary glitch, but it seemed like a flaw in the redemption system.  But, you may find this practice...er...less than upright, I suppose.  However, I didn't come across anything in the T&C where it was a "violation" to take advantage of their system inefficiencies.

Good luck!  And, enjoy your new card!

Yeah, I'm thinking once all my promo periods end, it'll be one of my faves too. Right now that goes to Discover and QS since they both offer me 0% intro APR. Some of what you say above, is a bit above my knowledge, but I'll keep it in mind. I like the idea of paying for a ticket and then redeeming it! That's hilarious! Do you know if it only worked for train tickets? I generally don't take the train, so wondering if a plane ticket would also be eligible. 

PS - I remember the Viking commercials now. I too loved those! Lol

Message 18 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking once all my promo periods end, it'll be one of my faves too. Right now that goes to Discover and QS since they both offer me 0% intro APR. Some of what you say above, is a bit above my knowledge, but I'll keep it in mind. I like the idea of paying for a ticket and then redeeming it! That's hilarious! Do you know if it only worked for train tickets? I generally don't take the train, so wondering if a plane ticket would also be eligible. 

PS - I remember the Viking commercials now. I too loved those! Lol

For me, it worked for just about any travelling expenditure imaginable.  

Plane tickets, train tickets, hotels, parking meters etc....If you use it for travel, redeeming it for travel expenses are best; you certainly don't need to worry about "alternative" redemptions. Not sure about now, but in the past, I've had a small travel charge (a BART ticket for about $20), and just kept redeeming it over and over gain.  It was literally there for about 2 months available for me to redeem.

What was I supposed to do?  Refrain?  LOL

*Edited*  PS - Read your post too quickly, while I haven't tried the multiple redemption per se with Airfare, I'd wager it would work, unless they've updated their systems.

Message 19 of 20
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Also, unless you're playing with the "Marquess of Queensberry rules" before you pay your annual fee next year, call and ask if they'd consider a "courtesy adjustment" to cover it.  It's been granted to me the last 2 years.

Good luck!

*Edited*  I just ask them to PC to the Venture One, whereupon they say it isn't possible and offer to waive the fee.

I read that yesterday (along with the fact that I can do a 1:1 for a GC) and thought it was BRILLIANT! I see no problems with using the system to work for me. And since I am considering doing a merger of my QS and V CCs, and was leaning to QS if I can get a Discover it Miles CLI, it wouldn't really be that far from the truth. Although I do go back and forth since the only difference between my QS and V cards are the AF. If V was my only miles card it would be a no brainer, but for now, I really love my Discover card so going back and forth on the two. Who knows, I may think differently once I start using my V card. 

Thanks for all your insights! Keep em coming. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.