Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Help us understand your current income..."

tag
Dirge
Contributor

"Help us understand your current income..."

"...so we can help you find eligible offers." This popped up for me today on my Cap1 app. I lost my job in May due to COVID, but I had severance and the extra COVID unemployment through this week, so I haven't missed any payments. I'm still paying it down in full every month. I had gotten a raise in April, and I updated my income with Cap1 back then. 

Do they know I lost my job? I know there are databases that creditors can use to check employment. 

Or maybe it's just a coincidence, though it doesn't seem like they should need an update since the one I gave them in April. 

Thanks for any ideas. After Comenity took away my two cards in April, this Cap1 card is all I have. I'd hate it if they lowered my credit limit. 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: "Help us understand your current income..."

Sorry to hear about the job loss. These are difficult times for a lot of people.  

My understanding of verification of employment is that it relates to a specific application request for credit.  On a credit card, I doubt a bank would want to incur fees to obtain that information.  

For your long term credit health, I would advise only using the card for items you know you can pay immediately. I wouldn't bother with updating your income to CapOne, because no credit apps should be considered for now.  

Good luck in your job search. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 27
ntenseone
New Contributor

Personally, and this is just me, but I don't think I would respond.

What motivation would you,  as a consumer,  have to optionally give a creditor a valid reason to hinder your access to credit when you may very well need it most? 

If you have been a good customer in the past then they shouldn't have a reason to head-hunt, but this is what it sounds like to me. That said I've also heard that C1 is brutal to deal with sometimes. (No personal experience on this to speak of, however) 

Best of luck!

FICO - 821 on 2/5/22
FICO 8 - 799 on 2/5/22
Vantage Score 3.0 - 816 on 3/2/22
Vantage Score 4.0 - 776 on 2/1/22
Message 3 of 27
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I agree with other posters--no need to respond, especially since it's just a generic popup.

Now, if you get an email or snailmail from CapitalOne requesting salary info, that's a horse of a different color. 

But for now, you're okay. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 27
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Dirge wrote:

Do they know I lost my job? I know there are databases that creditors can use to check employment. 

Or maybe it's just a coincidence, though it doesn't seem like they should need an update since the one I gave them in April. 

It is not really a coincidence. It is just your paranoia kicking in. It happens. Smiley Happy You could receive this email any other time you have a job, but you would think differently. It is just as they said: "..so we can help you find eligible offers." I would not think much of it.

In any case, I would just not respond. It's very unlikely that they know you just lost your job. I've had a job loss and salary cuts before. I just never update my salary until it's higher.

Message 5 of 27
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I have received this before. Just a random thing with Capital One. 

Message 6 of 27
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I don't have a Capital One card, but this appears alot on my LL Bean Card which is Citi and I have never updated it.  I think you are probably ok to ignore it.  I think I have seen it once in a while on my Amex accounts as well.  I wish you well in your job hunt.

Message 7 of 27
Flfico
Regular Contributor

Cap One may or may not know that there has been a change to your income. IME, Cap One pulls the work number every 6 months like clockwork. It shows as Cap One VOI Batch. Last pull was end of June. If your employer reports info to the work number they may be able to see that you are no longer working there.

Message 8 of 27
Flfico
Regular Contributor

You can pull your report to see if they took a peek.  https://www.theworknumber.com/

Message 9 of 27
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

I have received this before. Just a random thing with Capital One. 

It's not random.  Issuers in the US are legally required to ask their cardholders on a regular basis.  Cardholders are not required to respond to those requests.

If OP did respond to such a request a few months ago it does seem suspicious to me that they would be asked again now.

CLI requests or financial reviews are a different story, but those are wholly different senarios.  

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.