Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Help us understand your current income..."

tag
mpls_njl

Re: "Help us understand your current income..."

@coldfusion wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

I have received this before. Just a random thing with Capital One. 

It's not random.  Issuers in the US are legally required to ask their cardholders on a regular basis.  Cardholders are not required to respond to those requests.

If OP did respond to such a request a few months ago it does seem suspicious to me that they would be asked again now.

CLI requests or financial reviews are a different story, but those are wholly different senarios.  

Say more about this - that card holders do not need to respond 

Message 11 of 27
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@mpls_njl wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

I have received this before. Just a random thing with Capital One. 

It's not random.  Issuers in the US are legally required to ask their cardholders on a regular basis.  Cardholders are not required to respond to those requests.

If OP did respond to such a request a few months ago it does seem suspicious to me that they would be asked again now.

CLI requests or financial reviews are a different story, but those are wholly different senarios.  

Say more about this - that card holders do not need to respond 

I don't know how much more there is to say.

By law issuers have to ask each of their cardholders every so often to update their income and those requests are commonly made via a    popup when the cardholder logs into their online account, usually IME with some phrasing about being asked in order to evaluate for a potential CLI.   Those are not the same as 4506-T requests tied to applications for credit or credit limit increases or for financial reviews looking to investigate potential fraud or other discrepancies.

If you respond I believe you aren't expected to be asked again for another year but also IIRC that guidance doesn't apply if you don't respond.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 27
Dirge
Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I'm the kind of person who *does* think that people are out to get me and nothing is a coincidence! :-) 

Also by "app" I meant the Cap1 app on my phone -- not an application. Sorry. I'm definitely not applying for anything while I'm out of work. I was just checking their version of my credit score. I'll ignore it for now. 

Re: The Work Number, I've seen on the boards that people can check to see if their employer reports. But I don't see anywhere on the website where an employee can create an account to check (it looks like it's meant for creditors to check). I'll go back through the boards and see what's what. 

Thanks again, everyone. 

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I constantly get these from Cap1, probaly because I don't use them anymore. Every other CC I have generally gets an income update during a CLI request. 

Message 14 of 27
RootDet
Established Contributor

The only one i get them from is Chase because never ask for an increase with it being a HP and well chase is chase with CLI. I don't ask Barclays either but they never asked me for updated income that I remember 

Message 15 of 27
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

I get that all the time. Capital One is not targeting you. It's normal.

I'm salaried. I am an expat living in Africa, working for a US based NGO. My salary has not changed a single penny since sometime last year. Actually, with the stimulus payment in April, and another one possibly coming, my "income" has increased considerably, thanks to my rather large family! Smiley Happy

I ignore the notice.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 16 of 27
Dirge
Contributor

Now Credit Karma's in on the act, sending an email with the subject line "[Dirge] Connect with government support options" 

So the cat's out of the bag about me losing my job!

Message 17 of 27
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Not surprising. With all the data mining everywhere and all those obscure bureaus keeping tabs on every facet of our lives.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 18 of 27
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

For what it's worth, Capital One just asked me the same thing. Nothing has changed in my income, or my employment. Just letting you know that this is very normal and I would not worry about it.

capone-income.jpg

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, asked me earlier this evening. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.