cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"It will stay on your report for ten years," but what then?

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: "It will stay on your report for ten years," but what then?

I close cards for one reason.. If I think my CL is too high across all cards, and I have an eye on a new card.. I might close one so my CL isn't even higher in case Chase, or Barclay etc decide to take a look and CD or close a card because they think I'm over entended.even if I PIF everything.. I don't need my CL any higher.. I might even be too high now..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

I close cards for one reason.. If I think my CL is too high across all cards, and I have an eye on a new card.. I might close one so my CL isn't even higher in case Chase, or Barclay etc decide to take a look and CD or close a card because they think I'm over entended.even if I PIF everything.. I don't need my CL any higher.. I might even be too high now..

dont get some of us paranoid that have a bunch of high CLs/total limits now! lol. I think its more so for that specfic issuer and how much they want to extend to you, which they can always relocate and move limits around for you to work things out. Instead of one issuer looking at your report and seeing how much other total limes you get from  others. Each lender has their own max exposure. 

Message 12 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I would certainly encourage anyone to keep 1 or 2 anchor tradelines on their credit report: cards you intend to keep forever assuming the lender will let you.

I'm not so sure about my BOFA nee secured card, or my BCE (go go 1 year backdate back in the day haha) but I'm pretty certain I can keep my DCU secured card and those are my 3 oldest active tradelines.  I will try to keep my Zync too, that has a higher likihood of not going anywhere compared to either the BCE or BOFA card (small AF).

But the rest?  Meh.  I don't need the 29 tradelines I have on my report in various states and types for AAOA buffering, nowhere close to that count actually.  AAOA ain't a big deal and as TMWC correctly states, modern algorithms you only need 2 years AAOA to hit 800 anyway, and it looks like one can hit 740 easily enough mortgage wise, and that's with a recent 30D late too.

        
Message 13 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Viva-LV wrote:

I closed 5 cards in January, including a Cap One Plat that was 10 years old.  My AAOA took a dive, as did all three scores, each -25 to -30 points.  Scores are climbing back up, but it's something to consider when closing an account.  Lesson learned!

But, because the accounts are still reporting, AAoA wouldn't explain the sudden drop. Did your utilization go up a lot?

Have any baddies? Lots of new accounts? Your before and after scores sound a bit low for 10 years of history that's still reporting.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 25
minski
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Viva-LV wrote:

I closed 5 cards in January, including a Cap One Plat that was 10 years old.  My AAOA took a dive, as did all three scores, each -25 to -30 points.  Scores are climbing back up, but it's something to consider when closing an account.  Lesson learned!

But, because the accounts are still reporting, AAoA wouldn't explain the sudden drop. Did your utilization go up a lot?

Have any baddies? Lots of new accounts? Your before and after scores sound a bit low for 10 years of history that's still reporting.

FICO AAoA or Credit Karma AAoA?

Message 15 of 25
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

dont get some of us paranoid that have a bunch of high CLs/total limits now! lol. I think its more so for that specfic issuer and how much they want to extend to you, which they can always relocate and move limits around for you to work things out. Instead of one issuer looking at your report and seeing how much other total limes you get from  others. Each lender has their own max exposure. 

Sorry, Lol. I'm just a little cautious. My max per lender is pretty good. Thanks for the post..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

But the rest?  Meh.  I don't need the 29 tradelines I have on my report in various states and types for AAOA buffering, nowhere close to that count actually.  AAOA ain't a big deal and as TMWC correctly states, modern algorithms you only need 2 years AAOA to hit 800 anyway, and it looks like one can hit 740 easily enough mortgage wise, and that's with a recent 30D late too.

I agree hitting 800 is not that hard.  DW has an average age of 1 year 10  months and current util of 11% and she staight 760's across all three. If I tried to optimaize her I could it bring to 800 now   Mine are lower to higher %  useage. By august 30 I believe with paydowns on  both of us will  be just at 800. 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did 6.5 compared to 8.5 years really affect your credit score though? That's ultimately what really matters!
Message 18 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Did 6.5 compared to 8.5 years really affect your credit score though? That's ultimately what really matters!

More to the point, does it affect appovals or terms? Is an 830 better than an 800 in any meaningful way if they result in the same interest rate on a mortgage?

And if a person has an 830 and needs an auto or personal loan, micromanaging saving/budgeting may be more fruitful than micromanaging credit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 19 of 25
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

I think that the general understanding is that your OLDEST accounts closing will "hurt" you. Especially if you continue to open new accounts. If just 1 of those cards from 1983 would have remained open it would have helped, right??

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.