cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Necessity" of carrying a MasterCard?

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: "Necessity" of carrying a MasterCard?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I like this thread.  I'm one that carries one from each network.  Mostly because each card is used (like i'm sure others here) based on the type of spend so I can maximize the benefit of that particular card.

I'm with you, i think 4 cards in the wallet is the best choice. Visa, MC, Disco (only for categories) and AMEX.

I doubt if that optimizes much for most people!   In general, as so often in cc land, it depends on your spend and your goals.  For example, people into URs might want CSR, Freedom and FU as their most used cards, and that's likely to be three Visas.   There is no reason to think that the best, or even merely good, four cards are going to be one from each network.

+1  The optimal wallet holds 2-3 cards that best fit your rewards strategy.  It really doesn't matter what networks they are from unless you are on an international trip, and in that case a couple of the cards should be Visa or MasterCard.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 61 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Necessity" of carrying a MasterCard?

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I like this thread.  I'm one that carries one from each network.  Mostly because each card is used (like i'm sure others here) based on the type of spend so I can maximize the benefit of that particular card.

I'm with you, i think 4 cards in the wallet is the best choice. Visa, MC, Disco (only for categories) and AMEX.

I doubt if that optimizes much for most people!   In general, as so often in cc land, it depends on your spend and your goals.  For example, people into URs might want CSR, Freedom and FU as their most used cards, and that's likely to be three Visas.   There is no reason to think that the best, or even merely good, four cards are going to be one from each network.

+1  The optimal wallet holds 2-3 cards that best fit your rewards strategy.  It really doesn't matter what networks they are from unless you are on an international trip, and in that case a couple of the cards should be Visa or MasterCard.

Yeah, learned that the hard way on my Spain trip Smiley Mad

Message 62 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.