Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Premium" Credit Cards

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: "Premium" Credit Cards

A couple of related definitions come to mind as to what premium cards would mean for me personally:

1.  Single-digit interest rate (the lower the better, and even better if also a fixed rate card)

2.  Together with rewards.

3.  Together with no AF.

In other words to me anyway in MHO lol, the proverbial "holy grail" of credit cards would be one with a single-digit, fixed-rate APR, together with a decent rewards program, and no AF Smiley Happy And with honorable mention to a single-digit, variable-rate rewards card with no AF.  Nothing else really piques my interest the same way with credit cards, tbh.

Message 11 of 24
redpat
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Premium is a relative term,

This!   To someone with bad credit, a Cap One Secured is "premium" as it is much better than the alternative bottom feeders out there

But like "prime", it is a pretty meaningless term.    I would like to think of it as "hard to get" but that depends who for (so unlike an above poster I don't think of CSP as premium, because it isn't that hard to get in the general population) and where you are (for geographically restricted cards)

So probably better to drop undefined terms!

Uh? USDA "Prime" vs. Choice or "Prime" Real Estate (I think one can tell A space from B space) isn't a meaningless term, lol.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 24
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^lol now THAT'S what you'd call a "unicorn" card (in response to galahad). Smiley Very Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 13 of 24
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

^lol now THAT'S what you'd call a "unicorn" card (in response to galahad). Smiley Very Happy

lol you said it perfectly, thanks Omar  Smiley Very Happy  alas, I can always dream of the famed unicorn...who knows, maybe one day we might actually have the ever-rare sighting, lol... *sighs wistfully*

Message 14 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Premium is a relative term,

This!   To someone with bad credit, a Cap One Secured is "premium" as it is much better than the alternative bottom feeders out there

But like "prime", it is a pretty meaningless term.    I would like to think of it as "hard to get" but that depends who for (so unlike an above poster I don't think of CSP as premium, because it isn't that hard to get in the general population) and where you are (for geographically restricted cards)

So probably better to drop undefined terms!

Uh? USDA "Prime" vs. Choice or "Prime" Real Estate (I think one can tell A space from B space) isn't a meaningless term, lol.

Oh, I might have meant in the context of "prime credit card"!  

Message 15 of 24
Makersmark23
New Contributor

Premium is relative to the market. I think it's fair to say Amex plat, citi prestige, ritz, etc. are premium cards in the credit card market. A premium marketed card may not suit you, just like an expensive luxury vehicle may not suit someone, but it is intended as a premium option in the market.

You can say a secured card is a premium card to someone by their perception, but in the market, no it's not.
[img]http://s26.postimage.org/vht4qanid/Sallie_Mae_WMC.jpg[/img]
Message 16 of 24
yfan
Valued Contributor

Credit One!

Message 17 of 24
core
Valued Contributor

I have a slightly different take on this from what's been posted.  There was a thread on this forum a while back from someone who got denied due to "Too few premium accounts" or similar.  On a credit report, obviously a potential creditor can't tell if you have a card with an annual fee and lots of perks or not, unless it's a particular cobranded and reports that way.  They have no idea what kind of card it is, only who issued it. 

Anyway on that thread, as I recall, it turns out that a "premium" card in that context was one with a $10k+ credit limit.

Message 18 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

When I think of "Premium" Credit cards I think of amenities that usually come with a hefty annual fee. For example I have the Ritz Visa and Amex platinum. Both cards offer excellent 24/7 customer service, airport lounge access, upgrades at hotels, access to concierge, ability to upgrade hotel rooms, have some type of lucrative points incentive, and some type of credit usually for travel. Ritz 395 annual fee comes with a yearly 300 dollar travel credit. Amex platinum, 450 annual fee comes with a 200 dollar travel credit yearly. 

+1. This is pretty much it. Cards that are benefits-heavy which are primarily geared towards travellers. AFs will be $300-400+, sometimes higher.

I don't really consider the CSP, Premier, or many other spend-centric cards to fall into this category.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 19 of 24
theeurotuner
Valued Member

I would have to agree with you. 

My dream card would be the discover it at the barclay ring interest rate. Couple that with double cashback and shop discover and that's the ultimate card! 

Thats exactly what my mother has lol. She opened the discover more when the prime rate was at almost 20% with prime + 3.99%. Now the prime at 3.50 brings her to 7.49 % and of course I made her PC the card to the it and request double cashback. The interest rate followed along. 

I'm beyond jealus!! Now that day dreaming is over....

Premium cards for me would be discover $ Amex, discover for cashback and Amex for travel rewards and benefits. Of course you need a visa or mastercard in your portfolio since both are seldem accepted in europe.

Amex BCP- 1k, Amex EDP - 15k, Amex PRG, Barclays Ring - 10k, Barclays Arrival Plus World Elite - 12k, Chase Freedom - 5k, Discover it - 15k, Discover Escape: 17k, USAA World MasterCard: 10k, Walmart - 7,500, P.C. Richards - 5k, Lowes - 9k, Bank Of America 1 2 3 Cash - 15K, Amazon - 7,500K ~~~ Fico - TU-759, EQ-720, EX-751
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.