Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"See ID" or Sign..

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

"See ID" or Sign..

what is better to do sign, put "See ID", or leave blank...with all the pin pads at most stores being in front of the custmor whats the point any more...like some know i work in retail and i will be given the card once to twice a month...and when they buy to much stuff or to many gift cards we need a photo ID.

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "See ID" or Sign..

I don't think it matters because nobody looks/cares.  I used a card for a year without signing it, nobody ever said anything.  It was my primary card too, it got a lot of use.

Message 2 of 48
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i never sign it incause i want to give it to DGF to use or something

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 3 of 48
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

In 3 years working p/t retail, I've never once asked for ID, even when it says "See ID" and they don't seem to remember nor care either.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 48
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Per your agreement with your card issuer (the credit card company), you are generally required to sign the card to make it valid.

This doesn't mean that you can't sign it with some completely incomprehensible scrawl that has no resemblence whatsoever to your actual name or signature.

They are NOT allowed to ask for additional ID, like a driver's license. That's a violation of their agreements with VISA/ MC etc. If they balk on this, it's your choice whether you want to stand your ground and fight it.

One of the many things that I like about my AmEx Blue Cash Preferred is that there is no space on the back for a signature. So there's no way to sign for it, and therefore nothing for the lender to complain about. They just turn it back and forth, looking baffled, while I patiently wait. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@afbar1114 wrote:

i never sign it incause i want to give it to DGF to use or something

Personally, I'd never trust my credit card in the hands of a woman. hehe...  Seriously though, I don't think having it signed or not would matter.

Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@afbar1114 wrote:

what is better to do sign, put "See ID", or leave blank...with all the pin pads at most stores being in front of the custmor whats the point any more...like some know i work in retail and i will be given the card once to twice a month...and when they buy to much stuff or to many gift cards we need a photo ID.

It's best to sign it. If you leave it blank and you lose the card you are just leaving an opportunity open for someone else to sign the card and use it. It's a securty feature so use it.

Message 7 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

They only care at Shipol airport in Amsterdam. Only time ive really been asked to show it.

Message 8 of 48
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Per your agreement with your card issuer (the credit card company), you are generally required to sign the card to make it valid.

This doesn't mean that you can't sign it with some completely incomprehensible scrawl that has no resemblence whatsoever to your actual name or signature.

They are NOT allowed to ask for additional ID, like a driver's license. That's a violation of their agreements with VISA/ MC etc. If they balk on this, it's your choice whether you want to stand your ground and fight it.

One of the many things that I like about my AmEx Blue Cash Preferred is that there is no space on the back for a signature. So there's no way to sign for it, and therefore nothing for the lender to complain about. They just turn it back and forth, looking baffled, while I patiently wait. Smiley Wink

so my company is not allowed to ask for ID for them to buy something? we have notices that say we are allowed too and why is one not allowed to ask for ID...if i were to get asked for ID when buying something i would be happy becasue it makes me feel like they are looking out for their customers and make sure they arent stolen..in fact something like this happened to me while working.. i had a customoer buy milk and bread and a drink...he then said wait a min i need and grabbed a visa Gift card and asked to me to put $500 on it..he was paying with a credit card...i thought the whole thing was odd so i asked for ID...he said it was in his car and he said he was going to go get it but never came back... so wouldnt you like that kind of protection if your card went missing? 

Message 9 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@afbar1114 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

so my company is not allowed to ask for ID for them to buy something? we have notices that say we are allowed too and why is one not allowed to ask for ID...if i were to get asked for ID when buying something i would be happy becasue it makes me feel like they are looking out for their customers and make sure they arent stolen..in fact something like this happened to me while working.. i had a customoer buy milk and bread and a drink...he then said wait a min i need and grabbed a visa Gift card and asked to me to put $500 on it..he was paying with a credit card...i thought the whole thing was odd so i asked for ID...he said it was in his car and he said he was going to go get it but never came back... so wouldnt you like that kind of protection if your card went missing? 

I know for a fact that you can ask with Amex cards but the customer can refuse and the merchant must process the transaction. They are also not allowed to record anything from the ID. I used to accept cards and Amex had a different contract than the others. Not sure but I would assume the others are the same way. Amex has a site where you can report merchants for things like not processing a sale based on id.

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.