New Contributor

Re: "chances of approval"

Not me!!  I've learned my lesson!!

Message 11 of 60
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
IMO, the excitement of being back in the 'game' is exhilarating and instead of slowing down and fix those things that may have been negatives- they try to push the envelope. App sprees on extremely thin files, severe CAs reporting and high util are just the tip of the issues I see when I try to delve into why are' you asking if you can be approved.'

It just blows my mind......totally believe they know better jist influenced by all of the approvals on the board.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 60
RSCo
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
IMO, the excitement of being back in the 'game' is exhilarating and instead of slowing down and fix those things that may have been negatives- they try to push the envelope. App sprees on extremely thin files, severe CAs reporting and high util are just the tip of the issues I see when I try to delve into why are' you asking if you can be approved.'

Oh so TRUE... Nailed it!!!

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 13 of 60
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

I'm guilty of this. I've asked the same question in regards to amex, got suggestions and advice, then STOPPED ASKING! It's about getting sound advice on how to rebuild your reports, thus giving yourself the best chance at approvals, CLs, and APRs, like LS was saying. We're all about the "I want it now!" mentality. I'm pretty sure it was Lexie or MyJourney(that I've read anyway) who has said repeatedly that building a strong credit foundation is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good thread LS!!

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 14 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@CreditJunkie917 wrote:

I'm guilty of this. I've asked the same question in regards to amex, got suggestions and advice, then STOPPED ASKING! It's about getting sound advice on how to rebuild your reports, thus giving yourself the best chance at approvals, CLs, and APRs, like LS was saying. We're all about the "I want it now!" mentality. I'm pretty sure it was Lexie or MyJourney(that I've read anyway) who has said repeatedly that building a strong credit foundation is a marathon, not a sprint.And that is so true 

Good thread LS!!

If you stop during the marathon to have lunch (HP's) all you will get is cramps during the final leg of the race

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 15 of 60
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 16 of 60
enharu
Super Contributor

After reading this thread, some names popped up in my mind right away lol.

Anyways I agree with what you guys posted Smiley Tongue

From what I've seen so far........

There's always a group of people that's genuinely curious, or just don't know, and they do take feedback constructively and seriously. I think that's okay. Everyone has to learn at some point.

On the other spectrum there's a small bunch of individuals that just never learn. They somehow have the impression that people who offered advice are just jealous / bitter about them applying and thus turn a blind eye to what's been said. They just keep ramming apps through or collect inquiries one way or another like there is no tomorrow. Then, a few months down the road, a few of those people would start making new threads crying about AA and complaining about how unfair the lender / system is.

And I do understand the temptation and urge of applying. I myself find it hard to resist and am fallible myself. But there always has to be some sort of moderation and self-control. I personally don't see a point in collecting toy limit cards, and can never understand why people with 1-2yo BK are expecting prime lenders to approve them right away.

And more importantly, if I ever do get AA, I know I am responsible for it entirely *cough* My Barclays Arrival *cough*

I'm not gonna cry a river and write a rant essay complaining about how unfair xxx lender is because I already knew about what might potentially happen and still chose to do it anyhow.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 60
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if I fit in to this category Smiley Indifferent I've been building. I needed advice on the CSP since it is quite difficult to break the first 5K limit. Fortunately, I got it and from here on out I think any other cards will be easier to get a nice limit on. Although I don't think I have any other card(s) I want. I don't have a "need" card like when I first started building credit and have been looking around the boards and I don't think I have a "want" card either.

Message 18 of 60
enharu
Super Contributor

@SSA_2013 wrote:

I don't know if I fit in to this category Smiley Indifferent I've been building. I needed advice on the CSP since it is quite difficult to break the first 5K limit. Fortunately, I got it and from here on out I think any other cards will be easier to get a nice limit on. Although I don't think I have any other card(s) I want. I don't have a "need" card like when I first started building credit and have been looking around the boards and I don't think I have a "want" card either.

you're perfectly alright and normal trust me. 
Everyone asks for opinions and there's nothing wrong about it. I've asked dumber questions myself.

It's always better to ask for opinions and make informed decisions, rather than to ask and ignore all advice anyhow.

Sometimes there are people whom might be borderline approval / denial and they really need advice on what to do. That most people can probably understand. 

And then there's people who obviously are not going to be approved regardless, and still try to ram apps through rather than to fix / rebuild their credit.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 60
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think there is definitely a learning curve where you realize that having 20 subprime or store cards is way worse than having 2 really good cards...

I think folks are just so busy trying to get accounts to report something positive to dilute out the negative that they genuinely do not see the forest for the trees... I've seen a lot of these folks come to this realization and then start closing out the excess...

It's all a learning opportunity and we are all at different stages of learning. I certainly am not at the point where I know everything and I think these posters that you refer to may be a little lower on the learning curve...

Hopefully they will listen to the folks that have been around a while and they will get that lightbulb moment when they finally "get it"
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.