cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"insifficent credit history"

tag
gem1977

"insifficent credit history"

I have a question. I recently applied for a card, and the letter came back denied due to: “insufficient credit history”. What does that mean, and how the heck to you get credit to have a history, if you can’t even get a card?!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Re: "insifficent credit history"

The two easiest ways are to open a secured card or become an authorized user on someone's card. You could also try to get a card with lower approval requirements such as a store card. There are also other ways people gain credit history, school loans for instance. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 2 of 12
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

The two easiest ways are to open a secured card or become an authorized user on someone's card. You could also try to get a card with lower approval requirements such as a store card. There are also other ways people gain credit history, school loans for instance. 

+1 From what I've seen, most (prime) lenders want to see at least 6+ months of (positive) revolving credit history prior to issuing a new CL.  As the previous poster mentioned, obtaining a secured card from lenders who offer "building" or "rebuilding" products is something to look into as well as establishing 1-2 strong authorized user TL's (preferably TL's with long history, higher limits & low utilization). 

Perhaps look into establishing a relationship with your local credit union, i.e. open a savings and/or checking account and then discuss credit card options with them.  Many times credit unions have more lenient underwriting guidelines and are more open to granting credit to those of us who were or are still in building/rebuilding mode.

Best of luck to you. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 3 of 12
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I had the same issue last year. Was added as an AU and also opened a secured CC with my bank. Cap One denied me a secured CC since I had no credit history. Anyway, I was added as an AU to a card with a high util (>50%), which may have hurt me at the start so make sure that if you do this the account you get added to has a good payment history and low util. Anyway, after a few months I started getting "preapproved" offers in the mail and I got approved for my first "prime" card thereafter. It's really frustrating to start but if you're responsible with your credit, it'll get easier to be approved later on.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 4 of 12
IamB2
Established Contributor

@gem1977 wrote:

I have a question. I recently applied for a card, and the letter came back denied due to: “insufficient credit history”. What does that mean, and how the heck to you get credit to have a history, if you can’t even get a card?!!

As many have mentioned already, if you don't have any credit history, it is hard to get a new card - especially a prime card. So to start, you may want to go to your local bank - the one you have a banking relationship already - or a credit union and see if you can get a secured credit card. Preferably, one that would graduate after some time.

Once you have built at least 6-12 months of on-time payment, provided that you don't have any derogs, you should be able to apply for a better prime card.

Hope that helps...

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 5 of 12
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

I never understood crapital one, they would not approve me for a secured card until AFTER I had credit history. What's the point of it then? Most people with credit histories don't need a secured card. 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 6 of 12
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

I never understood crapital one, they would not approve me for a secured card until AFTER I had credit history. What's the point of it then? Most people with credit histories don't need a secured card. 

Idk. I have heard of some people getting denied for capital one secured but not very many. Most people get denied from boa because its not a rebuilding card but a building card.However, The risk is so slow to them you literally pay 229 for a 200 credit line with the anuall fee.The secured card basiaclly has 4 tiers if you think about it. Denial, 200 dollar deposit, 99 dollar deposit and 49 dollar deposit. I have heard that some creditors are worried your deposit would be taken back by other creditors if you owe them money.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 7 of 12
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Not necessarily. Just because someone has a credit history doesn't mean that it's good. It could be filled with COs, BK, etc. Plenty of people are in this situation.

There's a difference between having credit history (good or bad), and having none at all.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 12
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

I know. I said most people with a credit history don't need it, some do. However they advertise it as a building card, and not a rebuilding card. 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 9 of 12
gem1977

Thank you all. What card would you recommend to get for a secured card? I have heard good things about Chase, not so good things about Capitol One. I would like one that will truly be converted to a prime card after 6 months or so of small utilization and paying it off. That is my main concern about getting a secured card. The one applied for was the Amazon store card, but maybe they have tighter rules than some other store cards.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.