Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-opening closed account

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

re-opening closed account

I know I've seen posts where people talked about re-opening an old AMEX account & they were able to get their old history back etc.  Has anyone has success doing that with any other creditors?

I have an old Chase MC & Discover Card I would love to have re-opened.  I had perfect payment history with both & closed them many years ago not realizing that it was better to keep them open.

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: re-opening closed account

Amex is the only issuer that will backdate a new account to your original first amex date.

that said, other issuers will re-open closed accounts but has to be done within a certain period after it has been closed.  some is 30 days after it has been closed, other 6 months.

it's definitely worth to ask though, just call one of the backdoor numbers and talk to a credit analyst... 

Message 2 of 4
mt2va
Established Contributor

Re: reopening closed account

No these were closed about 15 years ago.  Thought I would ask anyway if anyone besides AMEX did it.  Way back then didn't know anything about keeping my oldest CC open even if I didn't feel I needed them at the time.  So even though I've had CC for 19 years the 3 CRA have my credit length about 9 years (which is when my student loans occurred)  Which of course is listed as a bad thing as the people with high FICO scores have credit forever & ever! 
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 3 of 4
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: reopening closed account

Accounts that old have probably been long flushed and lost in mergers and acquistions of the banks and issuers involved over the last 15 years.  I don't think it is possible to resurrect and have your accounts backdated.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.