Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reminder to AMEX holders

tag
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: reminder to AMEX holders

I and my DW just did one transaction each of $14 each, on our individual cards, for lunch at one of our Fav resturant. Not bad to have a lunch for $4 a peice,

Interestingly, at this local resturant our EMV Chip cards were put to use for the very first time, as here in Houston most merchants still swipe.

Message 61 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@vwhirlwind wrote:

Unless you are bartering goods or services for all your purchasing, you're a "puppet" to someone.

A puppet to marketing is what I meant.   It's not really an issue, except so many people here deny that rewards increase their spending, despite all the research that shows that in general it does (which is why they are offered of course).

Message 62 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, the spirit of the offer is incentivize shopping at small businesses on post Black Friday on one of the historically slowest days of the year, since most people would prefer to stay home and relax after Thanksgiving after the hussle and bustle of Black Friday.

While I'm not privy to the burden of the $10 credit, whether Amex or the Merchant shares in the cost, it can only been seen as a boon to Merchants, especially if Amex absorbs the entire subsidy.  Anything that drives foot traffic and promos to help local businesses monetize that foot traffic is a good thing.  How people choose to spread out the $10 offers is hardly relevant, so long as local businesses benefit.

$10 credit for the consumer and revenue for Main street equals a pure win win situation, in my view.

Message 63 of 71
vwhirlwind
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

A puppet to marketing is what I meant.   It's not really an issue, except so many people here deny that rewards increase their spending, despite all the research that shows that in general it does (which is why they are offered of course).

I see your point.  But that should always be obvious given the fact that we are on a discussion board dedicated to consumer credit.  Yes, the pull of marketing is strong. To me, though, this particular campaign does a lot of good, and I had a fun day spending time at two stores who appreciated my business. The $20 is an afterthought for me, and certainly not the only reason to be patronizing these businesses.  (edited to include quote)

Message 64 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@vwhirlwind wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I see your point.  But that should always be obvious given the fact that we are on a discussion board dedicated to consumer credit.  Yes, the pull of marketing is strong. To me, though, this particular campaign does a lot of good, and I had a fun day spending time at two stores who appreciated my business. The $20 is an afterthought for me, and certainly not the only reason to be patronizing these businesses.  (edited to include quote)

Right, while many of us invest on Wall Street, our hearts will always be with Main Street.  There is nothing more important for the vibrancy of the local communities than having its small businesses thrive. 

All things being equal, it's always better to consume and shop at businesses in our local communities.

Message 65 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the three places I went to I frequent quite often. The third I liked also so its a new place to shop at for me so it was a win win for both me and the merchant since they gained a new customer and the deal is what got me into the store.
Message 66 of 71
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@vwhirlwind wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right, while many of us invest on Wall Street, our hearts will always be with Main Street.  There is nothing more important for the vibrancy of the local communities than having its small businesses thrive. 

All things being equal, it's always better to consume and shop at businesses in our local communities.

We had lunch at our favorite taco cafe (separate checks of course), then spent the rest stocking our liquor cabinet. Supporting local small business means we pay a little more than at the big discount store for booze. That's where AMEX made up the difference and then some. We spent $82 and expect $60 back.               

Message 67 of 71
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

My daughter and husband are Au in my Amex. . So we had a total of 9 credits available. We had a blast driving between 3 places for takeout. We placed 2 orders at each. Then we went to a yogurt shop and got a gift card each to use later.
We ended up with an all you can eat takeout buffet at home lol. We will eat on it the next few days. Total price about 115, credits of 90, so about 25 for multiple meals. The kids loved it!

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 68 of 71
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@elim wrote:

Today is Small Business Saturday Shop Small good for $10 x 3 (AU card is eligable also so $10 x 6).  There is a map on this page showing locations in your area.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/shop-small/?extlink=SBS2014_Search_Consumer

So how does this work, exactly?  I went to the site and see available stores in my area, but do I need to do additional steps to be eligible - and whay exactly are you eligible for?  Is this offer good for every Saturday?  Thanks!

Message 69 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@akula wrote:

@elim wrote:

Today is Small Business Saturday Shop Small good for $10 x 3 (AU card is eligable also so $10 x 6).  There is a map on this page showing locations in your area.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/shop-small/?extlink=SBS2014_Search_Consumer

So how does this work, exactly?  I went to the site and see available stores in my area, but do I need to do additional steps to be eligible - and whay exactly are you eligible for?  Is this offer good for every Saturday?  Thanks!

JUst one day a year, this year Nov 29th.    You need to have the offer under Offers for You on the Amex website (or get it on Amex network cards via twitter, facebook etc), and select it.   Then, in general, you can go to any three of those stores (per card you have the offer on) and you get $10 back whenever you spend $10 or more at that store.

Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.