Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacement Sears Mastercard is a World MC

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

replacement Sears Mastercard is a World MC

I've posted here before about being a longtime holder of a Sears (Platinum) Mastercard, the card itself is nothing special except that for the last 3 years or so I frequently get 10X bonus TYP offers that I can readily meet with organic spend for a net 11 TYP/dollar yield.

I was a little surprised today to get a replacement card, even more surprised that it came with a congratulations that the card benefits have been upgraded and to use my World Mastercard with ThankYou Rewards etc etc, along with a standard Citi World Mastercard guide to benefits.  The card itself has the `world` writing under the citi label on the front.

No idea if Citi has been doing this on a targeted basis and I happened to meet some criteria to warrant an upgrade, if all current Sears Mastercard with TYP Rewards cards are being upgraded to World Mastercards, or ???

Has anyone else been upgraded, and if so when?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: replacement Sears Mastercard is a World MC

@coldfusion wrote:

I've posted here before about being a longtime holder of a Sears (Platinum) Mastercard, the card itself is nothing special except that for the last 3 years or so I frequently get 10X bonus TYP offers that I can readily meet with organic spend for a net 11 TYP/dollar yield.

I was a little surprised today to get a replacement card, even more surprised that it came with a congratulations that the card benefits have been upgraded and to use my World Mastercard with ThankYou Rewards etc etc, along with a standard Citi World Mastercard guide to benefits.  The card itself has the `world` writing under the citi label on the front.

No idea if Citi has been doing this on a targeted basis and I happened to meet some criteria to warrant an upgrade, if all current Sears Mastercard with TYP Rewards cards are being upgraded to World Mastercards, or ???

Has anyone else been upgraded, and if so when?

Congrats on the upgrade. Even if Citi nuked their benefits. 😊 

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats @coldfusion Smiley Happy. Thats cool Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Between Citi and MC nerfs, a Citi WEMC by late 2019 will be worse than a Citi Platinum MC from early 2019.

Of course, nerfing benefits doesn't stop Citi and MC from wanting to charge higher fees for these allegedly premium cards. If merchants are reluctant to discriminate between cards (charging consumers different prices) then it won't sway individual behavior much.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Congrats @coldfusion Smiley Happy. Thats cool Smiley Happy

Thanks AJC.

I find it an interesting take given both Sears' state and Citi's upcoming nerfing of benefits.  Whether it's a general change or only targeted may give a hint as to why they're doing it. If a general change one plausible explanation is that it's just a way to backdoor higher merchant fees, as wasCB14 infers.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.