Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

request for lower interest rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

request for lower interest rate

I have a bank of america credit card that went from 10% to 24%.  I paid the balance off and has been at a zero balance. I don't use the ccredit card because of the high interest rate. Do you think they would lower my interest rate even though it's at a zero balance? The thing is, I want to use the credit card but only if it's at a lower interest. My credit score is 761.   

I have another credit card that I do use often and pay the balance off every time. If I asked, do you they would lower my interest rate and increase my limit at the same time?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: request for lower interest rate

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a bank of america credit card that went from 10% to 24%.  I paid the balance off and has been at a zero balance. I don't use the ccredit card because of the high interest rate. Do you think they would lower my interest rate even though it's at a zero balance? The thing is, I want to use the credit card but only if it's at a lower interest. My credit score is 761.   

I have another credit card that I do use often and pay the balance off every time. If I asked, do you they would lower my interest rate and increase my limit at the same time?

By all means ask them to lower the rate. All they can do is say no. The same for the CLI request.

Why should your interest rate decide if you'll use the card or not? If you always PIF before the due date each month the rate could be 100% and it won't matter.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

never hurts to ask.  i do not always PIF, so i can understand why you would want it lowered.
Message 3 of 9
Zar
Regular Contributor

Sometimes I prefer to use my cards according how banks treat me no matter if I pay in full. If they increase my APR then I would also use my other cards with lower APRs. Customers usually prefer to make business with those companies that treat them better.

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
WD
Valued Member

Just curious, was the increase all at once?

That seems like quite a jump.  Especially, considering you don't (going by the score) appear to have bad credit.

My score is much lower and even on my poop cards, the interest rate is lower than 24% (though, not by much, maybe 22-ish).

Message Edited by WD on 03-04-2010 10:20 PM
Message 5 of 9
egold1234
Contributor

BoA did the same to me out of the blue, 7.99 fixed to 22.99 variable. Jerks. Be very careful if you call they might end up reducing CL or closing the card completly.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go credit union
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

egold: that's what I'm afraid of.

i wast hinking about  going to a credit union. I have 4 credit cards all zero balances, car loan and student loan. Would asking for ANOTHER cc hurt my score?
Message 8 of 9
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

They might just close your account that seem's to be their thing!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.