Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score penalty for balance transfer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

score penalty for balance transfer?

I currently have about $4k on a gold amex that's running me about $50 a month in interest.  I'm contemplating transfering that balance to my citibank card ($20k cl) which is offering 0% until 12/2011.  Obviously my overall debt doesn't change but I thought I read that amex balances are treated a little differently because they don't have a spending limit so the utilization can't be calculated...well it can but it's $4k/infinity which is 0.  If I put it on my citi that will push its utilization to 25% or so.  Any knowledge on score hit I might see?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Re: score penalty for balance transfer?

How are you running a balance on a Gold AMEX charge card? 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 2 of 5
Tazman81
Established Contributor

You are running a balance on an AMEX Gold Charge card?  Or is it the Gold Delta Skymiles Credit card?

I thought I read something somewhere that AMEX would start allowing you to run a balance on their charge cards but the interest rate/fees were pretty high.  Either way it goes, normally with a charge card you see an increase in utilization because the charge cards normally do not report a credit limit.  I don't think you will see much of a change in your credit score because you are just transferring debt from one card to the other without any additional credit limit increases.  Now, it is small possibility (based on when each credit card closes) that the $4k could be showing on both your AMEX and the citibank card for about a month, and that would likely cause your score to go down for about a month, but should rebound once it shows as being paid off from the AMEX.  But yeah, based on the 15% interest you are paying, I would transfer that balance quick and start putting that interest saved into paying the balance off.  let us know what happens.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have about $4k on a gold amex that's running me about $50 a month in interest.  I'm contemplating transfering that balance to my citibank card ($20k cl) which is offering 0% until 12/2011.  Obviously my overall debt doesn't change but I thought I read that amex balances are treated a little differently because they don't have a spending limit so the utilization can't be calculated...well it can but it's $4k/infinity which is 0.  If I put it on my citi that will push its utilization to 25% or so.  Any knowledge on score hit I might see?

As the other poster asked, is this an American Express Gold charge card, or an American Express Delta Skymiles Gold card?

Gold charge:

gold.jpg

Delta Gold revolver:

delta.jpg

If it's the charge card, well, it's not wise running a balance, even if they let you, but that's your decision. But if it's on a charge card then yes, your util should go up, because charge cards are excluded from scoring on Equifax, Experian, and the newer TU. (We have the older TU here, and charge cards are figured into util, which can be a mess.

If it's the Delta Skymiles Gold, then you're moving from revolving to revolving, and there shouldn't be any change in util, other than the possible brief period where neither card reports a balance or both do. That will correct itself when everything updates again.

AmEx is often 4 weeks behind on reporting new balances (not for everyone; they've started to get rid of this), so you might want to factor that into things.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the amex gold, not the delta card (although it may have been years ago when we first opened it but it's not any more).  gold amex offers pay in full and pay over time charges based on some internal criteria they have.  I think it's something like a new refigerator goes into the pay over time category but a new gold watch is a pay in full.  I know it's not wise running a balance but if we've learned anything from this site it's never wise to run a balance Smiley Wink .  I figured it would be a negative but it doesn't hurt to ask.  I guess now I have to decide what's worth more, a couple hundred bucks or some credit score points.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.