Did you mean: 

scores great no approvals

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: scores great no approvals

@JNA1 wrote:
Have you tried the pre-qualification pages for Discover, Citi, Capital One, Apple card, BB&T, Deserve, etc? Most of the prequals for those sites are solid.

Denials beget denials. OP needs to cool their heels for a while, at least 6 months.   If the Spark is used appropriately and paid promptly it can act as a small crowbar when it's time to take the next step.

Even though the Spark is a business card it reports to ones personal profile. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 35
JNA1
Valued Contributor

The Discover secured card is one of the best because it yields the 2% cashback on gas station purchases (gas and in store) and restaurants and 1% on everything else, and Discover matches all cashback for the first year, so it's effectively a 4%/2% card for the first year.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 12 of 35
thornback
Senior Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:
Have you tried the pre-qualification pages for Discover, Citi, Capital One, Apple card, BB&T, Deserve, etc? Most of the prequals for those sites are solid.

Denials beget denials. OP needs to cool their heels for a while, at least 6 months.   If the Spark is used appropriately and paid promptly it can act as a small crowbar when it's time to take the next step.

Even though the Spark is a business card it reports to ones personal profile. 

Agreed.  This was what I wanted to know.     Since Spark reports to the personal file, then use that for 6 months -- then apply for something else.   No need to go the secured card route if sufficient history may be gained through the Spark card. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Low level of authentication indicative of fraud tends to be a strain of "wow thats a ton of applications in a short period of time."

I think cooling off a bit should be in order. Let the Spark grow and get at it in 6 months or so.
Message 14 of 35
MzKitty
Established Member

I was thinking the very same thing cuz I've been going in trying to get the three cards to kind of sit and build maybe I should just build with the one.
Starting TU 680 EQU 715 EX 680
Message 15 of 35
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Low level of authentication indicative of fraud tends to be a strain of "wow thats a ton of applications in a short period of time."

I think cooling off a bit should be in order. Let the Spark grow and get at it in 6 months or so.

Thanks for clearing that up.    Had no idea, based on the wording, that it was connected to credit seeking. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 16 of 35
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MzKitty wrote:
I was thinking the very same thing cuz I've been going in trying to get the three cards to kind of sit and build maybe I should just build with the one.

When you start seeing denials it's a clear and direct message that you need to slow down and take your time.  You can't break out of the cycle by picking up the pace and continuing to apply.

Use that 1 card regularly and pay in full every month, or at least as much as you can every month, to generate some good history.  If you can do so you should be able to pick up another card like a Discover IT in 6 months.

One word of caution - use care with how you use the card.  Different issuers have different levels of tolerance for the amount and type of personal spend placed on a business card, if you regularly just use it for what can only be considered as personal spend you may attract attention and get warned.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 17 of 35
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up.    Had no idea, based on the wording, that it was connected to credit seeking. 

I didn't know either. I googled it and it brought me back to myFICO forums.

Message 18 of 35
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP does the credit union have a credit card you can apply for? With membership and this loan history, perhaps?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 35
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
The Discover secured card is one of the best because it yields the 2% cashback on gas station purchases (gas and in store) and restaurants and 1% on everything else, and Discover matches all cashback for the first year, so it's effectively a 4%/2% card for the first year.

Just FYI, Discover Secured can be PC'd to the 5% Cash Back card after the first statement.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.