Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

secured credit card usage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

secured credit card usage

I am in the process of cleaning up some credit report collections and recently applied/approved for 2 secured credit cards, one with a $1450 limit and the other with a $1000 limit.

What percentage of the available limit should I charge and pay in full each month?

My goal is to have collections removed as a condition of payment and have 1 years credit history in order to be able to buy a house with an FHA loan this time next year.

TIA

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: secured credit card usage

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the process of cleaning up some credit report collections and recently applied/approved for 2 secured credit cards, one with a $1450 limit and the other with a $1000 limit.

What percentage of the available limit should I charge and pay in full each month?

My goal is to have collections removed as a condition of payment and have 1 years credit history in order to be able to buy a house with an FHA loan this time next year.

TIA

Really up until about 2 months before you want to apply for mortgage you don't have to worry about util.  but if you want to keep util down, I would use the cards as much as you want through the month and then make a payment before the statement cuts to bring it under 9% of CL, then when bill comes, pay the remaining balance.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uhh....I really don't want to send 2 checks a month....any responsible answers?  What percentage should be used?

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Uhh....I really don't want to send 2 checks a month....any responsible answers?  What percentage should be used?

less than 9% of CL if you just want to pay once a month.

do you really still mail checks? I use my banks bill pay, payments are made electronically in 1 day.

Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

less than 9% of CL if you just want to pay once a month.

do you really still mail checks? I use my banks bill pay, payments are made electronically in 1 day.

+ 1,000,000

Mailing checks is downright dangerous these days. You're at the mercy of the postal service, the mail-openers at the bank, the payment-posters at the bank, you name it.

I pay online and I screenshot the confirmation and save it. I write down the confirmation number in my checkbook register (yes, I am one of those dinosaurs who faithfully keep a check register, and it's balanced, too), and I save the e-mail payment confirmation.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your 9% number.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes meant online thanks all

Message 7 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I have 3 secured credit cards. I often charge them to the 95% limit each month.  I make the minimum payment or more right after the statement cuts.   I pay in full before the due date.

The most important thin is never go over limit and never be late.

Whne you get with 3 months of mortgage app, then you move to the 9% reporting mode, which will boost your scores.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.