Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shopdiscover question about using which credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

shopdiscover question about using which credit card

Hi All,

To get the cashback from shop discover, do we have to use a discover card or can we use a credit card from any other bank like case or citi?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: shopdiscover question about using which credit card

You have to use your discover. I recently got $38 cash back from a $700 hotels.com purchase on shopdiscover.... beat that CSP!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the shop discover site says you need to use the discover card, but has anyone tried using a different card and see if they still got the cash back? I know the chase ultimate reward portal states the same thintg but I have successfully used citibank cards on it and gotten the cashback before.

Message 3 of 10
ngoaa
New Contributor

Is it just me or is that a bit of an odd question? That's sort of like asking will Toyota's warranty cover my Dodge. To answer your question: I've never tried going through ShopDiscover with a non-Discover card. It just doesn't make sense to me. Are you trying to take advtange of ShopDiscover without using a Discover card or something? 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have  minimum spending i need to meet on a card, so I wanted to know if I can knock out 2 birds with one stone. Doesn't look like its possible from what I found online.

Message 5 of 10
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

The shopdiscover CB bonus is based on the charge on your statement - which means it has to be your discover card. What this means is that Discover is not getting validation from the merchant of your purchase. Instead, they record you clicking the shop discover link and then magically apply it to the charge if it matches the merchant that they recorded you clicking on. You clicking on the SD link is only half of the process - the charge transaction is the other required half.

I'm not clear on how they do this, and where they store the click information (maybe they use a tracking cookie then add it to the transaction data once it posts?), but that is the simple explanation I got from Discover about 3 months ago when I was questioning a certain ShopDiscover CB.

Message 6 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I tried it once with Target Redcard + ShopDiscover, didn't work. I believe ShopDiscover does require Discover card to be used.

Message 7 of 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Discover card has to be used

Message 8 of 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Yes your Discover card has to be used

Message 9 of 10
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you can.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.