Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i try for barclays card?

tag
RebelSon
Contributor

should i try for barclays card?

I had bad bad credit 3+ years ago.

I have about 8-9 negative accounts but they are all at least 4+ years old and half will fall of soon. (all were included in my BK except for 2-3 medicals)

15 INQS in last 12 months though

I have had my auto loan paid for 13 months straight never late and 1 credit card for 6 months straight.

I just opened another auto loan and a line of credit back in april of this year....

i want to try for amex travelocity or apple card because i heard barclay is good with recon...

my credit report and payment history has been great for the last 18 months!

I will apply once I have my util down at 25%, most likely end of next month when my loans report!

i went from TU 500 to TU 590

i went from EX 519 to EX 620

what do you think?

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: 750
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: should i try for barclays card?

I would wait for things to fall so to speak.

I have read here that Barclay is kind of picky....

Just my thoughts - why waist and INQ???

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

@RebelSon wrote:

I have about 8-9 negative accounts but they are all at least 4+ years old and half will fall of soon. (all were included in my BK except for 2-3 medicals)

I have had my auto loan paid for 13 months straight never late and 1 credit card for 6 months straight.

I just opened another auto loan and a line of credit back in april of this year....

i want to try for amex travelocity or apple card because i heard barclay is good with recon...

I will apply once I have my util down at 25%, most likely end of next month when my loans report!

what do you think?

1. Wait for the baddies to fall off. That might give you some boost on your scores

2. Wait for your new auto loan to age and show a good 6-12 months on time payments - that should boost your scores

3. Wait for your 'good' history to be at least 24 months

4. Your Scores; I'm assuming they are FICO's not FAKO's need to go up. I assume you got your EX FICO from the auto loan? YOur scores are still very low. I would try and get them at least above 650 or even higher to apply for a card.

5. You have too many inqs. Wait for at least half of them to reach their one year mark. This also might give you some score boost. FRom what I have heard, having too many inqs doesnt look good when applying for any card or loan.

That would be my 'logical' step.

Message 3 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Do you have any open CC now?   

Message 4 of 9
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

barclays pulls TU and your TU score is pretty low you might be borderline denied or if you do get approved it will be a very low credit line which wont be enough to finance any big ticket apple products which is the whole point of the card. Do you even plan on purchasing anything from apple using the deferred interest plans they offer? Otherwise the card isnt that great there is no rewards and high apr unless you get the itunes card then you can earn points towards purchases on the itunes store.

amazon
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone who has "been there" myself--with a 590 and a 620 (which is probably not even a true FICO score), I don't think you'd be competitive for either of the TLs.  Apple used to be hooked up with GE so in that case you might get a $1200 CL at 29% or something.  AMEX didn't even need half of the thirty seconds they ask for in reaching a decision when I'd apply online.  I swear I saw the word "declined" before I even hit the "submit" button on at least one occasion!

A credit union is a good choice at this point.  They are more friendly to people recovering from debt-related problems than banks are (again in my experience.)

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

@RebelSon wrote:

what do you think?

1. Wait for the baddies to fall off. That might give you some boost on your scores

2. Wait for your new auto loan to age and show a good 6-12 months on time payments - that should boost your scores

3. Wait for your 'good' history to be at least 24 months

4. Your Scores; I'm assuming they are FICO's not FAKO's need to go up. I assume you got your EX FICO from the auto loan? YOur scores are still very low. I would try and get them at least above 650 or even higher to apply for a card.

5. You have too many inqs. Wait for at least half of them to reach their one year mark. This also might give you some score boost. FRom what I have heard, having too many inqs doesnt look good when applying for any card or loan.

That would be my 'logical' step.

I agree with CS800 100%.

Message 7 of 9
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

+1

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 8 of 9
slarano
Frequent Contributor

My score has fluctuated in the low 700's for a year or two now. No baddies, no late payments, no apparent negatives, but trying Barclay one or two times the past few years, I've never gotten my foot in the front door. Though I haven't tried app'ing with them recently, I figure I'll hold off and try them next year if one of their cards seems useful to me. I tried app'ing with them two or so years ago when my scores were right below 700.

On a positive note, I just got my first big boy Discover today, Discover More! Smiley Happy

ImageImageImage

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.