Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should you still make a payment?

tag
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

should you still make a payment?

hey guys, is there a pro/con to this situation?

if you have a $0 amount due and no payment due on due date but have a balance should a payment still be made?

today on my discover I have a $0 due with no payment required on 11/14 (today) but do have a $47 balance that from something I charged a week ago.

does it benifit me in any way to pay it now or just let the due date pass? whats your thoughts on this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: should you still make a payment?

No, there is no need.   This charge is in the next payment cycle, right?   So if you are micromanaging utilization, pay the charge and any others before the next statement cuts, otherwise pay before the next statements due date.

The only reason to pay now that I can think of is if you are going to need your full CL for some purchase later this month, but hopefully $47 isn't such a critical factor!

Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:

If you have a $0 amount due and no payment due on due date but have a balance should a payment still be made?

We'd really need more details.  I can't speak to Discover but I know that one of my cards will eliminate the amount due if a sufficient payment (i.e. greater than or equal to the minimum due) is made between due dates but that won't prevent interest from being charged on the remaining balance.

As asked above, is the balance on the following statement period?  Are you only looking to keep the account current or to avoid interest?  Are you trying to adjust your utilization before the statement cuts?

Message 3 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

No, there is no need.   This charge is in the next payment cycle, right?   So if you are micromanaging utilization, pay the charge and any others before the next statement cuts, otherwise pay before the next statements due date.

The only reason to pay now that I can think of is if you are going to need your full CL for some purchase later this month, but hopefully $47 isn't such a critical factor!

+ 1 It will be on your next statement.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

yes, it will be on the next statement, right now my amount due is $0 and its due today, I just want to stay current, im not trying anything interesting lol.

plus im still under sign up period with no interest so that doesnt matter either, I just want to stay current and trying to find out if making a payment when none is due is somehow better or not? I guess it reports to CB as the same right?

Message 5 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:

yes, it will be on the next statement, right now my amount due is $0 and its due today, I just want to stay current, im not trying anything interesting lol.

plus im still under sign up period with no interest so that doesnt matter either, I just want to stay current and trying to find out if making a payment when none is due is somehow better or not? I guess it reports to CB as the same right?

It reports what your current statement reports. Some companies wont report 0 balance. The credit reporting agencies will see no more then what's reported.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@coldnmn wrote:

@slap_happy wrote:

It reports what your current statement reports. Some companies wont report 0 balance. The credit reporting agencies will see no more then what's reported.

+1 regarding the balance being reported; however, with $47 outstanding, it wouldn't be reported as zero.

OP: there's no need to pay it from a lender perspective: you are current on the account, you'll get a pretty OK on your credit report for the month.

What you will have though is the $47 as the reported balance.  If this makes a difference to you, pay it before the statement cuts.  If it doesn't (and for me I agree with longtimelurker, most times micromanagement to that degree isn't required) then it'll get rolled up into next month.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.