cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

southwest companion pass. combine miles?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

southwest companion pass. combine miles?

southwest companion pass requires 110k points to receive the companion pass. signup bonus on their credit card ia 50k but no way im gonna get another 60k just using the card. can my wife apply for the same card and tranfer me her signup bonus? so that i get 50k of my own and another 50k from her? total 100k. would this count toward the companion pass requirement?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: southwest companion pass. combine miles?

No
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

SW account must be in same name as primary cardholder, what you have suggested will not work unfortunately. The only way to get the companion pass from signup bonuses is some combo of SW plus, SW premier and SW business cards in the same primary cardholder name

Message 3 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

No. It would be nice, but they won't let it come that easy.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was plotting such a thing the other day. I just can't justify the spend for myself. It'd be a lovely thing to have. You can however transfer other points (Hyatt I know for sure) to rapid rewards. Now THAT counts towards it. It's a shame you can't just buy the points.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP,

I was in the same position last year as you are now, i applied for the card in september and 3 months later my offer expired, i said, i need to take this companion pass, my city is a SW hub so i started reading and i found ways to get it without have to spend 110K, no way i can spend that so, things you can do:

If you have a Amex PRG you can transfer your MR to SW (you can find how on google)

If you have or use Choises Hotel you can transfer points (you also can buy points from them and transfer them to SW)

i started my companion pass in January 2016 and today i only need 6.6k to get it, beside put a lot of use on the card i had a lot of points that helped me, i also bought points., a lot of points lol.

Hope this help

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So does  this mean I could maybe apply for Marriot card that offers 80k points and transfer it from there to make up the difference?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So does  this mean I could maybe apply for Marriot card that offers 80k points and transfer it from there to make up the difference?

Transfering points are not the best option but yes you can, Why dont you instead apply for both SW cards (Premier & Plus)??, you can get both and there are 100k points, you will only need 10k to get your companion pass.

I dont know if i can add a link here but you can do a search and you will find how to do it, getting both cards is the fast and best way to do it.

Hope this help. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not a 1:1 transfer rate.  80K Marriott will only get you 27K SW miles.  Not a very good deal.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like southwest plus only offers 25k points Smiley Sad

the app asks for rapid rewards account number? should I start an account before applying for the two cards?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.