Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spent $716 on my BCE - First Statement cut...says 0 reward dollars

tag
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

spent $716 on my BCE - First Statement cut...says 0 reward dollars

Does anyone know how they apply the rewards? Some of the $716 was spent at the grocery store so I know that should be Cash Back at 3%....I know my cash back isn't huge, but I know I should have earned something.  Am I missing something?

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: spent $716 on my BCE - First Statement cut...says 0 reward dollars

Amex cash back posts one statement behind - you'll see the cash back from this current statement on the next statement. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 14
shane82388
Established Contributor

Maybe there is a little delay...? I think mine has been a bit delayed before on my Green Card...cant be positive though because i dont pay much  attention. ;-(

Message 3 of 14
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

Amex cash back posts one statement behind - you'll see the cash back from this current statement on the next statement. 

Thanks-that helps.  I was starting to think I was using the card and wasn't benefiting from the rewards, which is why I wanted the card.

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 4 of 14
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

The delay is a bit irritating (to me anyway), but you'll definitely see the statement credit.  No worries.

Message 5 of 14
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

@koalablue wrote:

The delay is a bit irritating (to me anyway), but you'll definitely see the statement credit.  No worries.

I'm just planning on saving it up, but it's irritating to me too.  They want their money before the statment cuts and they don't provide the actual rewards until a whole month after....seems a little unfair but it is what it is. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@jlfce1 wrote:

@koalablue wrote:

I'm just planning on saving it up, but it's irritating to me too.  They want their money before the statment cuts and they don't provide the actual rewards until a whole month after....seems a little unfair but it is what it is. Smiley Happy

something new? 

my unicorn points post a month after as well. it is an annoyance but not like i can really use them for anything.... 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 14
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@jlfce1 wrote:

@koalablue wrote:

something new? 

my unicorn points post a month after as well. it is an annoyance but not like i can really use them for anything.... 

I guess I should clarify...from all the reading a lot of people have suggested paying before the statment cuts for best results of the CLI's, etc.  Also, from what I've read, if you don't, since apparently they report to the CRA one statement behind, you could be showing a balance on your CR longer then intended.  I've concluded  (from all the reading) that 0% APR offer or not, they prefer their stuff to be paid in full, monthly.  I kind of expect the same with the rewards, but looks like I won't win this one. 

Message 8 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

That's the only thing about Amex points system that's irritating ...Points don't show up until the following monthSmiley Mad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@jlfce1 wrote:

I guess I should clarify...from all the reading a lot of people have suggested paying before the statment cuts for best results of the CLI's, etc.  Also, from what I've read, if you don't, since apparently they report to the CRA one statement behind, you could be showing a balance on your CR longer then intended.  I've concluded  (from all the reading) that 0% APR offer or not, they prefer their stuff to be paid in full, monthly.  I kind of expect the same with the rewards, but looks like I won't win this one. 

I've never seen them report one statement behind for any of the cards I have with them. Paying before the statement closes and before the due date are two different things. They want the money on or before the due date, just like every other lender. The majority of people definitely do not pay before the statement closes. I also think the time for rewards to post is too slow. PNC, Barclays, and Bank of America post a few days after the charge posts. Most likely AmericAN Express waits until after the due date because that is when most people would expect it.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.