Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

supermarket rewards card - college student

tag
gh17
Frequent Contributor

supermarket rewards card - college student

I currently have three cards - a credit card with a cosigner I've had for about two years with no rewards or anything, a store credit card I use maybe twice a year, and a Citi Forward card I just got recently that gets me 1 point on all purchases, 5 points on restaurants/books/entertainment (3500 points redeemable $25 gift card, typically).  I like the Citi Forward rewards, but the majority of my small budget is spent on groceries.  I'm wondering if there's anything with a decent rewards program that would particularly reward me for things like that that I could get approved for with my fairly short credit history.  I pay off everything each month, and I never really go over 10% of my credit limits (if I do, I pay it before the statement comes) so I think I have pretty decent credit history, just short/I have low income.  Any suggestions, or should I just wait until after I graduate and (hopefully) get a decent job before getting another card?

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: supermarket rewards card - college student

Hi, gh17!  Welcome to the forum here at myfico!

Being patient pays off in the long run.  Sounds to me like you're doing just fine.

Wait, and while you're waiting, just keep on doin' what you're doin'.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
DI
Super Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

I currently have three cards - a credit card with a cosigner I've had for about two years with no rewards or anything, a store credit card I use maybe twice a year, and a Citi Forward card I just got recently that gets me 1 point on all purchases, 5 points on restaurants/books/entertainment (3500 points redeemable $25 gift card, typically).  I like the Citi Forward rewards, but the majority of my small budget is spent on groceries.  I'm wondering if there's anything with a decent rewards program that would particularly reward me for things like that that I could get approved for with my fairly short credit history.  I pay off everything each month, and I never really go over 10% of my credit limits (if I do, I pay it before the statement comes) so I think I have pretty decent credit history, just short/I have low income.  Any suggestions, or should I just wait until after I graduate and (hopefully) get a decent job before getting another card?

Congratulations using credit responsibly.  If you think  your approval chances are great, apply for students cards while you're still in school.  There are student reward cards.   If you decide to wait until  you graduate, apply for cards with AMEX and Discover when you get a higher paid gig. 

Message 3 of 4
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@gh17 wrote:

I have a Cap1 No Hassle Cash Rewards MC that gives me 2% cash back on gas and groceries, 1% on everything else. The only downsides are:

1) Small CL (typically 300-500 with an auto CLI of up to 750 after a few months) and

2) Hard pull with all three CRAs

But, the rewards do add up and I have it set up to get a check in the mail automatically when I reach $50; it can be set to any amount threshold. Or, instead of a check, the cash back can be applied as a statement credit.

Just throwing it out there as an option. Only you can decide it it suits you.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.