Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

target card...what to do

tag
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

target card...what to do

Have had the card since 05 and always in good standing. never increased or upgrades. I have a 704 middle credit score.  What should I do?  Have a $200.00 credit line.
Message Edited by laryn41 on 07-29-2009 05:14 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: target card...what to do

1. You could continue to use it as you normally would
  2. You could suddenly use it a LOT just before the start of the holiday season (a bunch of us got CLIs last year right around that time)
  3. You could SD it, and continue to utilize it for age and history

Honestly, Target is a tough nut to crack, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to their decisions regarding credit limits. At any rate, you've got a card with five years of history and no annual fee. If you PIF, it won't cost you a thing to just hang on to it.

Message 2 of 9
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Yeah...i totally get that. I have no problem keeping it. i use it all time and have no problem paying every month. it is more or less the principle. I can believe they are being like this. Am I lost in the system or what?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know Target has issued multiple store cards to people. I know one person who has three open Target store cards. I wonder if they would let you combine the limts to one card? Has anybody done this?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

One poster on this forum who has three Target cards  ($300,$500,$200 limits) tried to combine the cards and was told that they don't combine.
Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 07-30-2009 08:55 AM
Message 5 of 9
pattycake
Established Contributor

You can ask for a CLI, but they are very tight with those.  I have had my card for almost 11 years, and I've rarely gotten CLIs, and recently got a CLD because I didn't use it enough (APR is high!). 

Keep the card, use it to buy toilet paper and cereal, then pay it off.  For me, it's good for age.   

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 6 of 9
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@pattycake wrote:

Keep the card, use it to buy toilet paper and cereal, then pay it off.  For me, it's good for age.   

But all that stuff is cheaper at walmart! Other than the occasional piece of clothing, I find Target's price points to be higher than most other dept stores. Are they becoming the next Kmart? stale ideas, bland stores, limited selections, and it's cheaper elsewhere?

Not sure if this loophole is still open as it has been some amount of time. Back when I did have perfect credit, I had a Marshall Fields card which came with a Target CL on it which always grew and had a much higher limit than my 200 CL target card.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 7 of 9
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

Duh, nevermind... they dont exist anymore. lol
EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 8 of 9
pattycake
Established Contributor

@lajntx wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

But all that stuff is cheaper at walmart! Other than the occasional piece of clothing, I find Target's price points to be higher than most other dept stores. Are they becoming the next Kmart? stale ideas, bland stores, limited selections, and it's cheaper elsewhere?

Uh, I don't know about your local WalMart, but ours is not cheaper than Target, and it becomes tweakerville in the evenings. 

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.