cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the OLD Amex BLUE CASH is still ALIVE !!!!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

the OLD Amex BLUE CASH is still ALIVE !!!!!!!!!

I JUST GOT APPROVED FOR 12,800 cl  for the old amex blue 

this is what it gives to you vs the new boring every day blue cash :

UP TO 5% CASH BACK

at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 in purchases in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases, and 0.5% on other purchases. After your first $6,500 in purchases, you will earn 5% on Everyday Purchases up to $50,000 and 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: the OLD Amex BLUE CASH is still ALIVE !!!!!!!!!

Nice.. congrats.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

UP TO 5% CASH BACK

at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 in purchases in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases, and 0.5% on other purchases. After your first $6,500 in purchases, you will earn 5% on Everyday Purchases up to $50,000 and 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.

I don't see the appeal over the BCE and BCP. So you get only 0.5-1.0% back until you meet the $6,500 and then you get 5% on some category spend and 1% everything else. That $6,500 is like meeting a deductible basically. Why not get the BCE or BCP and then basically it takes your two percentage brackets (the before 6,500 and after) and pretty much averages them throughout the whole year whether you hit 6,500 or not.

Message 3 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

UP TO 5% CASH BACK

I don't see the appeal over the BCE and BCP. So you get only 0.5-1.0% back until you meet the $6,500 and then you get 5% on some category spend and 1% everything else. That $6,500 is like meeting a deductible basically. Why not get the BCE or BCP and then basically it takes your two percentage brackets (the before 6,500 and after) and pretty much averages them throughout the whole year whether you hit 6,500 or not.

Don't know the OPs motivation, but this card is generally used for MS or for very heavy grocery spend (or both).  You can hit the $6.5K almost immediately, and then get 5% on those categories

Message 4 of 11
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

UP TO 5% CASH BACK

Don't know the OPs motivation, but this card is generally used for MS or for very heavy grocery spend (or both).  You can hit the $6.5K almost immediately, and then get 5% on those categories

what is considered an "everyday purchase"? Congrats btw. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Its been showing up under their regular page. No need to google or click links to find it.  It its a good card for big spenders, but really the most you're going to get back is 4.6% and thats assuming you spend tover 4k a month on the card.  I suggest reading themanwhocan's charts for comparisons

Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. Its been showing up under their regular page. No need to google or click links to find it.  It its a good card for big spenders, but really the most you're going to get back is 4.6% and thats assuming you spend tover 4k a month on the card.  I suggest reading themanwhocan's charts for comparisons

The 4.6 in the chartsis based on the assumption that you spend all $56.5K in the 5% categories.   If you use it other ways, you can still get 5% on say $50K of groceries, you would just get a little less on the first $6.5K than you would using another card, and exacly how much less depends on what other card you have.

Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

UP TO 5% CASH BACK

Everyday purchase, as in the original post, means US Supermarkets, U.S. Gas stations, and certain US Drugstores (Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid among them so not too restrictive)

Message 8 of 11
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 4.6 in the chartsis based on the assumption that you spend all $56.5K in the 5% categories.   If you use it other ways, you can still get 5% on say $50K of groceries, you would just get a little less on the first $6.5K than you would using another card, and exacly how much less depends on what other card you have.

I am not sure how 4.6% got calculated. The actual "cash back %" is lower - I think it's around 3.3% cash back if you factor in MS fees.

Regardless it's 4.6% or 3.3%, I think it should not be ignored that the actual cash back amount is a decent amount for huge spenders.

Despite not reaching full 5%, you actually get over $1500 cash back a year if you fully utilize and MS on Blue Cash card.

Real grocery spend in a typical household is way less than 50k a year - maybe like 15k/year at the most. In most situations, a BCP or a 3% cash back card at grocery without annual fee (BCE, Bank of the west... etc) will earn the most cash back.

Message 9 of 11
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@awp317 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

UP TO 5% CASH BACK

Everyday purchase, as in the original post, means US Supermarkets, U.S. Gas stations, and certain US Drugstores (Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid among them so not too restrictive)

OK so im confused then why this is better than the new one? My Blue Cash Preffered gives me 6% cash back each year up to 6000 bucks, dont have to spend 6500 to get 5% back. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.