Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time for amex to go (again)

tag
swpopham
Established Contributor

time for amex to go (again)

Ive had a love hate relationship with amex since 2010, always paid on time, no bounced checks, no disputed charges. I have always ran 8-20k a month on the platinum card. PIF, over the last 6 months they have called every single month. Some person saying "Sir, your spending is higher then we like, can you make a mid month 50% payment???" Then they tell me, let me explain how your card works.... I have this very simple answer, either it works or it dont, if it wont work I no longer need your company. Well today is the 4th of july, im at 11k and the AF just posted today and they started calling again. Im going to PIF on the 20th when its due and ask for a refund of my AF and close the card. 

I dont care if I hit my "internal limit on this card" but they cut off our other amex cards and even my wifes primary card. They called and said your husband is an AU on your card and since his is suspended we are suspending your cards also until he pays. so even though we have spent 100-300k a year on these cards since we first got them it seems like they do not want the business any longer. I wish they had called last month and saved me the 550 AF. 

Anyone else deal with this crap on a regular basis?

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: time for amex to go (again)

What alternatives are you considering?

Without knowing what made them uneasy (presumably not the balance in itself, as you've spent more on it before), it's hard to know whether the concern would carry on with some other lender's products.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

This seems extremely strange to me.  I've spent $10k+ in a month numerous times over the years and never received that call. Not once, much less monthly.  If you're regularly spending $100-300k per year on the card for years, I would assume that you should be able to spend at least $50-100k a month with zero issues on an Amex charge card without any issues.

What is your reported income to Amex?  If that is low in comparison to what you're charging, then perhaps that is the issue.  Are you running business expenses through the card in addition to personal charges, yet reporting the actual salary you pay yourself if self-employed?  I could completely see this issue if say you're reporting an annual income of only $150-200k, but actually running that kind of spend through the card.  In that case, I'd be shutting off someone's charges too if their charges exceeded their annual income.

If it's not a reported income vs spend thing, there has to be something we're missing because there are lots of people on FT and some here that run that kind of spend through Amex and have no issues (mine's been mostly through an Amex revolver the past year or so rather than one of my charge cards, but I'm not that far behind in spend, and at least in the ballpark).

Edit: As for the annual fee, as long as it hasn't been 30 days since it posted, you can close the card and it will be refunded.  Alternately you may be able to get a retention offer.

Message 3 of 25
redpat
Senior Contributor

Looks like again caught up to you.  What happened last time?

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Amex is calling instead of just not approving the transactions? That's their own fault. If the spending is higher than they would like then they can choose not to approve the transaction.

Message 5 of 25
drboxing
Established Contributor

AMEX placed a hold on my Biz Platinum because I spent higher than the previous month. I explained to the CSR that I charged an airplane ticket on the AMEX travel site which cost over $900, I did it to get the 5X points for membership rewards, AMEX asked that I make a payment to release the hold, I just paid the bill. Since then I just stay under $2000 a month regardless. It can be embarrassing

Message 6 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@drboxing was that early on in your Amex relationship?  Once a relationship has been established, there shouldn't be a reason to need to keep your spending so low, especially on a business version.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@drboxing was that early on in your Amex relationship?  Once a relationship has been established, there shouldn't be a reason to need to keep your spending so low, especially on a business version.

Agree with this. My spending fluctuates a lot between months depending on what I am doing. But AMEX says they approve about 5x as much as I have ever spent in a month. From 3k to 15k according to their spending power tool. I have had a relationship with AMEX for 4 years, and no issues, though I was afraid I would be declined going up to 3k. Citi's "Fraud Prevention"(3times) has declined me more than AMEX(0times) . Citi is actually the only company to decline me anywhere.

Message 8 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

+1

@drboxing, I read your other post where you mentioned having some accounts close by Synchrony and Comenity, how are your scores?  Any recent 'dips' that might have put you on Amex's radar?

I have very modest resources relative to many on here and I've never had an issue using my PRG (even with an AU who is fond of it).  We can only speculate, but it seems there's something bothering Amex that's making them take this action on your account.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a high income nor do I run alot through Amex like others here do. Also haven't been with them very long either.

But I've never been contacted or any action taken on purchases over $1K on any of my cards. 

I can't see them having an issue with such small transaction, especially with the amounts you indicated that you spend and pay back regularly.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.