cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to those that use Sallie Mae regularly at Amazon...

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

to those that use Sallie Mae regularly at Amazon...

I'm currently waiting arrival of our Sallie Mae cards. We are regular customers of Amazon and probably average about $250/mo. We currently use the Chase/Amazon 3% rebate card, but soon we are getting an additional 2% bonus with SM! Yay!

Questions...  I searched but didn't find if there are limitations other than spending limit.

We purchase many items on subscribe/save, ie the preset purchases that arrive monthly or whatever is set up. Also, Amazon has a littler known perk for charities. Instead of going to amazon.com  you enter smile.amazon.com and 1/2 of 1% of your purchase goes to a charity of your choice. There is no additional cost to the purchaser.

Are these scenerios covered the same as the Chase/Amazon card? Are there any purchases/limitations that wouldn't earn the 5% cash back?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: to those that use Sallie Mae regularly at Amazon...

I must be missing something? I didnt know that you can get the 5% on Amazon I thought it was Gas Groceries And Books?

Message 2 of 29
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I must be missing something? I didnt know that you can get the 5% on Amazon I thought it was Gas Groceries And Books?

Amazon counts as books for almost all purchases

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would exlcude Amazon Counting as books? I usually purchase tech items or food items.

Message 4 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What would exlcude Amazon Counting as books? I usually purchase tech items or food items.

You missed that SM does Amazon?  All over this forum!    Everything except Amazon Payments potentially counts.   But, almost at random, so items seem to be classified as Computer or Business Equipment (or similar) and don't get the 5%  But most things count.

Message 5 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

I'm currently waiting arrival of our Sallie Mae cards. We are regular customers of Amazon and probably average about $250/mo. We currently use the Chase/Amazon 3% rebate card, but soon we are getting an additional 2% bonus with SM! Yay!

Questions...  I searched but didn't find if there are limitations other than spending limit.

We purchase many items on subscribe/save, ie the preset purchases that arrive monthly or whatever is set up. Also, Amazon has a littler known perk for charities. Instead of going to amazon.com  you enter smile.amazon.com and 1/2 of 1% of your purchase goes to a charity of your choice. There is no additional cost to the purchaser.

Are these senerios covered the same as the Chase/Amazon card? Are there any purchases/limitations that wouldn't earn the 5% cash back?

Thanks!

The URL used doesn't matter, what matters is how the retailer classifies itself.   If you have used smile.amazon.com with your Chase card, look on a statement to see what type of business is listed.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Are these senerios covered the same as the Chase/Amazon card? Are there any purchases/limitations that wouldn't earn the 5% cash back?

Thanks!

The URL used doesn't matter, what matters is how the retailer classifies itself.   If you have used smile.amazon.com with your Chase card, look on a statement to see what type of business is listed.

On my Chase Amazon statement online it doesnt show a category just "online/mail order"

Message 7 of 29
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

On the paper statement is only lists "Amazon.com AMZN.COM/BILL WA" for each purchase. There is also "Amazon Marketplace Pymts" which I assume to be sales associated business/partners and likely not covered by SM. 

I suppose to be sure, we will just have to monitor the charges/rebates for a few months. 

Thanks!

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have a better insight on this that is a current SM card holder?

Message 9 of 29
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

So far everything i have purchased from Amazon with my SM has been credited with 5% cash back. Items have been a canon powershot, blu rays, and ps3 games. I have not tried the digital services yet (instant movies/books, mp3). From what I'm told GC do not count towards the 5%. I'm also a prime member.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.