cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tried (well not too hard) to close HSBC today...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

tried (well not too hard) to close HSBC today...

Well, today as I knew my 1.06 payment was going to be posted and the card was going to be PIF- I was ready to close it as it has an AF of 59 dollars and a measly 300 cl.

So I call them, tell them I want to close the card due to it being so low and it's AF- they look it up and escalate it to an acct mgr. - I tell her the reasons and she starts saying, but we want to keep you and blah, blah,

I tell her again, this is my ONLY card w/ an AF and I can't stand the limit- so she goes, well the AF isn't due again till Feb and we did waive it this year- and I remind her that this was one of those rare times that I didn't read the fine print- I must of had the card six mos and not activated, they kept calling the house- I told them the only way I would activate is if they took off AF...

bottom line they gave me and instant 500 limit w/ no pull- yeah- go 500! (yes, I am being sarcastic) but I tell her if Jan comes I will def. close it- and she says, maybe by that time your scores will be so good we can not charge AF-

Bottom line- that sucker is getting CLOSED in Jan!!! Bye Bye HSBC!!!! And thanks to the Lord above I have always PIF because the APR is atrocious....
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: tried (well not too hard) to close HSBC today...

PS- Its very hard to keep under ten percent util when you used to have 30.00 to play w/ and now it's 50 dollars...

ahhh....the credit game...have PIF all the ones used to show activity for the year- and now am going to use my new amex, discover, and freedom, that is all I will be using... and just for stuff like gas, etc.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which HSBC cards is this. Sounds like the rebuilder I had. Closed mine too when the time came. 
Same fee and everything but better limit.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

netpanther wrote:
PS- Its very hard to keep under ten percent util when you used to have 30.00 to play w/ and now it's 50 dollars...

ahhh....the credit game...have PIF all the ones used to show activity for the year- and now am going to use my new amex, discover, and freedom, that is all I will be using... and just for stuff like gas, etc.

i used the exact same line when i cancelled my hsbc/orchard cards. why keep a card that if i buy a tank of gas on it will max out my utilization? i also threw out that i have amex and citi starting me off out the gate at 4 to 7 times your limits.

the csr manager says sorry sir i can't do anything about the cl. i say i understand, just go ahead and close the accounts, i'm getting turned down for prime cards because of too many open accounts anyway.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, rebuilder. Again, normally read fine print on everything- but this is when I was finally starting to get preapprove offers in the mail- and was overexcited...

like I said I never activated the card for several mos- couldn't belive they called my house asking me to activate!!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, that measly puppy is def. going to the closed CC pound in Jan!!
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel ya'll pain.  I had the same crappy card, I canceled that sucker fast!  I called to get rid of the AF.  I have cards with HSBC for Best Buy and Gateway with huge limits. But you won't give me more than $1125 on this stupid card I have had for 5 years!~

It felt darn good to tell them to kiss my tail.  I also told them, why do I need a card with such a low limit when I am carrying AMEX plat in my wallet with a $20K credit line.

they are silly folks!! 
Message 7 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm thinking that if you've rebuilt (and congrats when you have!), then there's no point in trying to turn rebuilder cards into real cards. They're not going to turn these cards into the real thing; that's not what they're for, right? No reason to get exasperated at the drones on the phone, they can't turn that sow's ear into a silk purse.

To mix metaphors, once you no longer need the training wheels, take them puppies off, and pedal on down the road!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally closed my second HBSC card today. I had called to do it a few weeks ago...and they increased my limit (finally) by $1200 and combined it with the first card to give me a whopping $1700. Well, this morning I decided I really don't need it, ain't using it and refuse to pay that AF. I was dreading calling them because they give such a hard time when trying to cancel. So I told them I was refinancing my house and my banker insisted I close some credit cards, so I was closing the ones with the lowest limits and highest APR's. They gave up the fight after about 30 seconds. Soooooooooo...when they and my three Cap1's finally show closed (hopefully by next week) services will be held in the kitchen over the garbage can.  Just me and a pair of scissors....***sigh***. They were good to me when I needed them so I appreciate them. But their time has passed.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Post a moment of Silence......

@Anonymous wrote:
I finally closed my second HBSC card today. I had called to do it a few weeks ago...and they increased my limit (finally) by $1200 and combined it with the first card to give me a whopping $1700. Well, this morning I decided I really don't need it, ain't using it and refuse to pay that AF. I was dreading calling them because they give such a hard time when trying to cancel. So I told them I was refinancing my house and my banker insisted I close some credit cards, so I was closing the ones with the lowest limits and highest APR's. They gave up the fight after about 30 seconds. Soooooooooo...when they and my three Cap1's finally show closed (hopefully by next week) services will be held in the kitchen over the garbage can. Just me and a pair of scissors....***sigh***. They were good to me when I needed them so I appreciate them. But their time has passed.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.