Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turning 18 VERRY SOON need advice?

tag
H4LO
Established Contributor

Re: turning 18 VERRY SOON need advice?

@Interestedincredit wrote:
What Amex do you think I should go for and do you think I'll get it given my credit history?

To be honest. You're 18 years old. You don't need to be worrying about opening a ton of cards.

Open a student card like the Discover IT for Students or CapitalOne Journey card. Build your own history and later on down the road... Worry about the bigger cards. 

I have to say, while I don't know you... It's easy to slip up and land yourself in a ton of debt. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 11 of 15
KAISMOM
Contributor

Kudos to you for being so proactive at such a young age! My advice....slow and steady. Don't get ahead of yourself, especially considering all that you want to accomplish. Would you check back with and let us know?

Good luckSmiley Happy

Southwest Premier & Plus 25.8k I Alaska Air 21k I Discover It 16k I United Explorer 15k I Chase Business Ink Cash 12k I Wells Fargo 2.5k I Bill Me Later 7k I Amazon 3.5k

Current Scores:
(TU) 813, (EQ) 786
Goal Score: 820
Message 12 of 15
Interestedincredit
Established Member

ok thanks for all the information, and im very mature for my age and am smat financially I would like to open and have established PRIME credit cards 

Message 13 of 15
alkaline
Regular Contributor

On my 18th birthday I went to my credit union with my parent to remove him from my account, then I went to apply for a credit card through the credit union. I had a job (only got paid around $600 a month) but had zero credit history and I wasn't even approved for a card with a $500 limit. I ended up opening a secured card with a $2000 limit. Seven months later, I went back to the credit union to see if I could convert my secured card to a normal one. I wasn't making much more than I was earlier (around $1000 a month). I was told that my credit score was 700. I ended up being approved for a card with a $1000 limit.

Message 14 of 15
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@Interestedincredit wrote:

ok thanks for all the information, and im very mature for my age and am smat financially I would like to open and have established PRIME credit cards 

that's very good that you are smart financially and very mature for your age. but remember, you have to walk before you can run. you have started three threads asking for advice on which prime cards you should go for with your very thin credit profile, and the members have given you sound advices. we can't stop you from going through and apping for the CSP, amex, discover, etc. cards you want to get. but just keep in mind that there are other things lenders look at besides credit scores when reviewing apps. your established credit is from being strictly an AU. credit underwriters may look at this as not having sufficient credit history and decline your app.

i know this happens first hand because DW went through it when ahe was trying to establish her own credit. i had her as AU on almost all my cards. after a year she tried to app on her own. apps denied for insufficient credit history. almost a year later we decided for her to get secured card with our cc. she used it heavily and submitted payment each friday for several months. then december, i told her to try for b of a. instantly approved. then she applied for amex, csp and arrival. all instant approval. this is after bofa, chase and amex denied her for insufficient history a little over a year ago. having her own card helped her get these cards. because with perfect payment history on the secured card, lenders was able to see that she can handle her own credit card as opposed to just being an AU.

being very mature and smart financially  for your age is great....but unfortunately you can't call recon line and use that as a basis for underwriter to overturn a denial. even if you get approved, the lender may give you toy limits to start you off. and based on the cards you want to have, im thinking you won't be happy with toy limits.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.