Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

videostripe.com - Fraudulent Charge

tag
SquidBilly
New Contributor

videostripe.com - Fraudulent Charge

Logged on to one of my Visa accts and found a pending charge from "videostripe". Think it's a movie streaming site outside the U.S.. Anyway.... had to cancel my card and get a new one sent. Pain in the a##! Looked on the net and it seems I'm not alone! So check your accts.... they test with a $1 charge (mine was pending) then hit you with a $49 or higher charge.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: videostripe.com - Fraudulent Charge

@SquidBilly wrote:
Logged on to one of my Visa accts and found a pending charge from "videostripe". Think it's a movie streaming site outside the U.S.. Anyway.... had to cancel my card and get a new one sent. Pain in the a##! Looked on the net and it seems I'm not alone! So check your accts.... they test with a $1 charge (mine was pending) then hit you with a $49 or higher charge.

Just think if it was missing the "E" at the end. Smiley Tongue

Never heard of it...

Message 2 of 11
Jlu
Established Contributor

Unfortunately I feel that paperless everything has had it's intended effect.

Rarely do I take the time to log on to 10 websites and check my balance & statements and anything under a $100 charge would surely go unnoticed. The paperless everything was a dual pronged strategy for bank's profits.. first they save money on mailing costs then they save money on disputes.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't think they are trying to allow fraud to occur. They definitely have some motivation to do so, but I find it extremely hard to believe that they are trying to hide fraud and planning business decisions like paperless around that.
Message 4 of 11
SquidBilly
New Contributor

I have several accounts (~10) and I check ALL of them everyday. Overkill? Yes! But I have to be me. Lol
Too many crazy things happening these days. I worked very hard to get my 760 FICO just to let some jerk hijack my identity and ruin everything!
Message 5 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I check all 8 of mine on a regular basis to see charges and to see if i got a random CLI Smiley Tongue

Yeah stolen CC is never fun. At least you caught it. Too bad other companies arent like Discover where you can freeze your cards and then unfreeze them when you want to use them. Thats what i do with Discover with my spare cards. Would be nice if i could do it to my non used cards.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 11
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@SquidBilly wrote:
I have several accounts (~10) and I check ALL of them everyday. Overkill? Yes! But I have to be me. Lol
Too many crazy things happening these days.

Glad it's not just me. LOL! Iwas thinking it might be overkill since I don't find anything unusual but the habit has been formed and it will be hard to break it. I guess I'll just carry on.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 7 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I think videostripe.com stole my card when I registered it with the Apple app store. it was only about 2 weeks after I received my card (csp). 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I really don't think they are trying to allow fraud to occur. They definitely have some motivation to do so, but I find it extremely hard to believe that they are trying to hide fraud and planning business decisions like paperless around that.

Right, there are a lot of sound economic reasons for paperless, including that it increases paperless payment, and the costs of handling mailed-in payments is high.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have text alert for all my credit cards for any charges, but unfortunately capital one's minimal charge for text alert is 20 bucks, so if someone charges under 20, I wouldn't have any clue until I actually check online accounts.Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.