Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

walmart lowered my limit

tag
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

walmart lowered my limit

I recently paid down my walmart card only left 100 balance.  my limit was 300. havent used it since January so my limit is now 190.  I recently got approved for a chase unlimited for 500 and got a cl increase on nordstrom 1000 so 3000 limit total. dont understand them but not surprised because last year Amazon did the same. Smiley Sad wondering if i should close it but people say dont close cards because it hurts your score.  Any ideas should i pay it down and let it close on its own or should i charge something once and a while.  i have 4 collections and lowering my balances are my last steps to clean up my score. but i got my chase card even if its just 500

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: walmart lowered my limit

Closing your cards only affects your score if it affects your utilization , a card will or should report upwards to 10 years or more.

What are your current Ficos ? When did you get your Wally? So are saying you know owe $100 on a $190 cl card?. That sounds like balance chasing to me. Any reason they may be dong this to you. Have you had high uti for awhile? Thanks
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say keep it open.   Sams Club lowered my limit from 1000 to 250 after I had it near maxed out for a couple years.   Fast Forward 3 years later and it is now at 25k.  And my oldest open credit card.  So moral is it will rebound and grow.

Message 3 of 8
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@ average Joe my Fico is 597 I just got my chase card so it went down about 10 or more points. My utelization was high but I took the money I received from taxes and paid it down. My utelization has been high for a while

Message 4 of 8
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@ allottacards okay I will keep it open will work on paying the balance off in a couple of months I guess worst case I can use it at Sam’s. I got 0 percent interest on chase for 15 months

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Its Ok Sparklerd34, congrats on getting a Chase cardSmiley Happy. Remember utilization has no memory so as you pay down your cards, your score will rise. Eventually Sync will let you back in good graces. As your TU rises so should your opportunity to get higher limits. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Thank you average joe and allotacards for the good advice. Going to keep working on my balances and few collections i have left. I appreciate the advise.  I have some store cards that really dont get used any more because i opened them in the beginning. Comenity cards like overstock will eventually be closed have a 100 dollars to go and im sure by next year they just might close it for no activity. 

Message 7 of 8
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Also, WalMart didn't lower your limit.Synchrony did
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.