Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wells fargo credit card question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

wells fargo credit card question

My other cousin has just opened a checking account 1 hour ago, and he wants to open a credit card too. Assuming he's handling his other credit cards well and have no baddies and 730+ FICO scores, do you think he'll be approved having only been a wells fargo checking customer for a few hours?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: wells fargo credit card question

With scores like that he can get approved for a much more rewarding credit card, but to answer your question, yes if he has his heart set on a WF credit card, he should have no trouble getting one.

Message 2 of 10
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Hmmm is your cousin trying to ms or something?
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I read the OP and can't really decipher where you even got this from. Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My other cousin has just opened a checking account 1 hour ago, and he wants to open a credit card too. Assuming he's handling his other credit cards well and have no baddies and 730+ FICO scores, do you think he'll be approved having only been a wells fargo checking customer for a few hours?

A high score isn't everything.  How does his credit profile look like?

Message 5 of 10
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Approval is not simply score driven, as we've seen on some recent posts here from credit analyst information.  On the surface a 730 score looks good.  Depends on what other credit cards, length of history, credit limits on said cards and utilisation.  If your cousin goes for an automated approval, the chances are the computer won't care that the checking account is new; that probably won't even factor in. 

Message 6 of 10
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I read the OP and can't really decipher where you even got this from. Smiley Indifferent

Was just wondering why anyone specifically wants a Wells Fargo card..Even my debit card gets declined like it's their money that's in there.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 7 of 10
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Like others have said, there are WAY better cards than the WF card but to answer your question, yes there is a very high probability that your cousin will get approved. 

I was approved with 4 tax liens, 13+ inquiries, ~10 new accounts, and my score was < 700 at the time, my one disclaimer is that I have been with WF for ~ 10 years and have used my accounts like a boss..... well not like a CenturionKing boss Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 10
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

WF can be kinda weird with their approval process sometimes. 

I have a long history with WF. First had a joint account with them about 5 years ago with my sister (which is also why the debit card I had with them said Member since 2010 when I got a new checking account), don't remember what happened but that account ended up being charged off though that never showed up on my CRs. I paid the charge off and reopened another account with WF and for a while they had been using that past due amount as a reason to deny me for their cards like the college checking.

I gave them some positive history on the checking account and eventually got the College Cash Back card with a $700 limit and after several months of working with that card, I decided I didn't need it so I closed it out. Tried the WF Propel 365 in September, denied after verification and also a few months later their Platinum card cause I wanted to do a BT and they asked for tax returns. By the time I did the Propel app then, my checking and savings with Wells had turned over a year old.

Fast forward now, I closed my checking and savings accounts with them and like a week or two later, I apped for the Dillards Amex and Propel cards and got approved for both without them asking for anything or having to do verification and despite having new accounts too though I did get a letter from Dillards the other day telling me to call them to verify that it was me that apped for the account and got that taken care of. I'm still wondering if I might have gotten $10k on the Propel without doing the Dillards Amex card but I really needed to buy some new dress clothes for this business class I have and thought a store like Dillards or Nordstrom would be good to buy the clothes from.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who is ceturionking lol

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.