Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what credit card should/would I get

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: what credit card should/would I get

Thanks Koolaid! I'd hold out and grab the Limitless when the time comes. USAA cards grow really fast! The Limitless is one of the highest general spend cash back cards available. It just doesn't get much better. As soon as the transactions post. The cash is sitting in your rewards account ready to use. There's no waiting for statements to close or CC payments to post.
Message 21 of 32
Kooliad
Regular Contributor

Gmood thanks that sounds great but around what score do I need for the Limitless card?

Message 22 of 32
Gmood1
Super Contributor

You already have a USAA CC correct? You're already more than half way over the fence. My EQ was in the 668 range with an old foreclosure still reporting when I got my first USAA card. I went from $7.5k to $25k in 18 months.

Once you buy your home and I assume use USAA for your home insurance needs. Go ahead and hit them for the Limitless as well. The deeper your relationship the more giving they seem to be IME.

Message 23 of 32
Kooliad
Regular Contributor

Yes I will be using them for my home owners insurance. I will be looking for a car loan also so they may be gettig all my business

Message 24 of 32
Gmood1
Super Contributor

For auto loans I suggest Penfed. They normally beat USAA easily on those types of loans Apr wise. USAA does make it easier. Since they send a electronic check to your phone for the auto loan. While Penfed uses snail mail or UPS.

With what you've told us so far. IMHO you'll be a shoe in on the Limitless.
I'm betting it will have a larger SL than your first card. Mainly because you will have built some history with them.
Message 25 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

-2 general purpose cards are Barclay Arrival and Cap One Venture... you get 2 points and you can use them towards discount travel... but travel card afficionados say they're just disguised 'cash back' cards because they don't give you extra travel

-if you got a Chase Freedom card, which is apparently easier to get than the CSP and CSR, you can get Chase's travel rewards points

Re Arrival/Venture: the real criticism is that, unless you get  the annual fee waived, every year they are 2% cash back cards with a) an annual fee, unlike the several free 2% cards, and b) and, in addition for the privilege of paying an fee, you also get a more restricted card, getting full 2% only on travel rather than on everything.

However, both cards may be worth getting for one year, to get the bonus and the fee is waived.

Freedom will earn Chase travel reward points, but without a CSR/CSP/Ink, they are worth 1c each, whether used for travel or anything else.

Message 26 of 32
Kooliad
Regular Contributor

Ok Thanks

Message 27 of 32
Kooliad
Regular Contributor

Good news I will be closing on my house on 31 March . I will apply for some new hardware after that

Message 28 of 32
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Dang, that Limitless...........

Wish I could get into USAA

Best of luck OP, that's a hell of a card!!

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have said, the USAA Limitless is a great option for USAA members.

However, I'd recommend getting into Chase before you hit 5/24 if you're interested in travel rewards. If you can manage it, getting the Chase "trifecta" is a great combo. It is the CSR/CSP, Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited. The CSR/CSP is used for travel spending and for access to Ultimate Rewards. Freedom is used for the 5% categories, and the Freedom Unlimited for everything else. You then pool all of your points into the CSR/CSP to redeem them. I'd say this is the most valuable card combo available at the moment, but many people don't have it because they don't qualify for Chase's 5/24.

Outside of that, some airlines have some pretty good cobranded cards. I know people aren't too fond of Barclays, but I love my JetBlue Plus card. Really good rewards for frequent JetBlue fliers as well as nice perks such as free check bag and others. Most airlines have some form of cobranded card. AMEX's Delta cards are good, as well as AAdvantage and United VISA/MCs.

Best of luck!

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.