Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do you have to do for a Cap1 CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what do you have to do for a Cap1 CLI?

I am just wondering ...if you have a cap 1 platinum since August made on time payments every month since it has been opened. Paid atleast 2x-5x the min payment when due... what are the chances of getting a CLI without asking?

I am curious how do some cards decide you are worthy for a CLI...although i am very happy with my current CL ( which is 3500)

and if i was to get a CLI i dont want to be the one asking for it at this stage...i would rather they hand me one

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: what do you have to do for a Cap1 CLI?

where your scores higher when you got the cap1 card? I don't think Cap1 is handing out to many CLI lately without requests, at least not on any of my business cards.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

no  they wasnt... actually my dad opened the card especially for me since my scores are crap (which i am working on) i am the only one who uses and pays for the card.  i am a AU on the card but his name is top name
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honey, with scores like that a CLI is the least of your concerns.  With the new FICO '08 scoring system, "piggybacking", or being an AU on your dad's card won't help your score like it used to.  Some reports are even saying it won't be a helping factor at all!  This isn't "your" positive TL, it's your dad's, regardless of who pays the bill.  You should get a secured card from a sub-prime lender like Orchard Bank & start building a positive TL of your own.  Also start writing snail-mail (not email) letters trying to get whatever old Baddies are destroying your score removed, ASAP.  Best of luck!

Aly

EQ-785 EX-779 TU-789

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As previously stated i am happy with my CL... however i still wonder how do cards decide who to give CLI to and who not. Again as previously stated i am working on my baddies...I been a member on this site for under a month and it is helping me out a lot in regards with what to do. Now that  i have submitted my letters maybe i will have some better scores to update ya'll with in 30-45 days

Also i do plan on opening a secured card...Orchard bank does not appeal to me though i was thinking citi or USbank or one of the others that has been suggested by ppl on this site

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh and i dont know how it will or wont affect my score but  i know Cap 1 does report the TL on my CR
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with CreditAddict,

Treat that card with velvet hands.  With your scores you are potentially at high risk of a Credit Limit DECREASE in light of todays credit markets.

$3500 is a respectable limit, especially with your scores.  Use it wisely and don't carry too large of balances...keep below 35% and ALWAYS pay more than the minimums.

Paying minimums indicates your disposable income is maxed.  Combine that with low credit and baddies and you are ripe for the CLD or other Adverse Actions such as rate hikes, etc.

EDIT UPDATE:  I did not notice initially that this was an AU account.  Your personal credit has no bearing on the account.  However, your use of the account and how you manage it will affect your father's credit, so be wise.

With that said, your father's income and credit will determine the CLI in addition to the payment history.

Message Edited by txjohn on 03-26-2009 06:33 AM
Message 7 of 10
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

The only increases they're giving out right now are the CLI's for the Credit Steps program and that's for new customers. I believe they're not granting CLI's to anyone right now. I've had my card for about 2 years now and the last increase I got from them was in June of 2008.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the replies...but seriously i was just more interested in the process in general and i used my card as an example. I do wonder how any card be it Cap 1, Citi, BofA, Amex or anyone else decide who to give CLI to,

I have read some posts where people have so so credit and good payment history and luck out with CLI, or some with good credit good payment and cant get a CLI...or vice-versa....Sometimes it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to credit cards companies decisions..

Especially when you got cards like Amex who are slashing, or closing peoples accounts who has all everything going for them..

in this credit climate even with good credit, no baddies, any good history i am beginning to think CLI or AA is  really just a roll of the dice if it hit you or not

Message 9 of 10
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

No one is getting increases right now. They should be happy with that they have because it could be gone tomorrow.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.