cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens if you don't "Activate" your card?

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: what happens if you don't "Activate" your card?

I have heard of Discover calling people after seeing a transaction on a card that has not been activated yet

Message 11 of 20
laz98
Senior Contributor

If I remember correctly, Chase has been the only one where I HAD to call.  It didn't work when I went to the store.  I don't really recall on some of the more recent activations, because they really weren't THAT recent...But I still haven't called NFCU even though I've had the new Signature cards for a while now Smiley Surprised  I may have to call soon for some of my store cards, too, since they were WFNNB & are now Comenity Bank, & it's 50/50 whether those will be 100% automated or not.

Message 12 of 20
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

I went to use a Discover "replacement" and had it denied at the super market. Had to call in to have it activated.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 13 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

Interesting ... next time I have a new credit card I have to try making a purchase on it without activating Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 20
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

It is important to note that the JCP card won't work either if not activated...however it is a simple fix in a JCP store XD we'll just ask for ID and punch in the numbers manually and remind the customer to please activate the card online or through the phone when they get the chance, if they want to avoid the hassle of being ID'd each and every time they attempt to use the card. The magnetic swipe though conveniently works for returns and payments, however.

Of course, we're suppose to ID everyone who uses a credit card...but especially during the busy holiday season, unless they're running up very large and unusual purchases, who checks? Some stores don't even request a signature for small purchases! One swipe and boom, transactions already done before you can put your card away!

Message 15 of 20
RonDawg
Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

Don't tell me it doesn't work cause it does Smiley Tongue

I tried it on my Chase and Amex cards, as well as Capital One etc. Forgot to activate the card, and used my Capital One card in the past, and went through worked fine...... so I tried it on others and it all works without calling in or logging on to "activate the card" So question is what in the world is the point?

its a marketing ploy so you have to listen to their voice automation talk about all the great deals you could be saving on, Credit Protection because you never know when someone will steal your identity. Of course the jokes on them if your CS is below 650 lol and of course the "Random" selection for a survey Smiley Happy

See what you miss out on when you forget to activate your card lol

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 16 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

@HiLine wrote:

Interesting ... next time I have a new credit card I have to try making a purchase on it without activating Smiley Wink

I certify that I used an unactivated card to make a purchase and the purchase went through. 

Message 17 of 20
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@Smerri1029 wrote:

I went to use a Discover "replacement" and had it denied at the super market. Had to call in to have it activated.

+1.  I was too lazy to call or forgot to call or something. lol  Had to call it in later though. Smiley Tongue

Message 18 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
The credit card companies want to use the time that you call in to cross sell you on additional products such as "wallet protector"

Have never had this experience with any card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 19 of 20
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I don't agree with the marketing reason for activating cards since most cards can be activated online now. The one time I remember calling it was an automated voice. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.