cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what if I never activate the credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what if I never activate the credit card?

I’m curious to know if anyone here knows what happens when you apply for a new credit card, get accepted, receive it in the mail, but never call to activate it.  I know the application process resulted in a look at my credit score, but interested in knowing what happens if I never activate the card, destroy it and just forget the whole thing.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: what if I never activate the credit card?

It may vary with lender,  Generally, I think you get a CC account, but you won't be able to use the card.  Just like you cut up your credit card, account is still open. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bank will start calling you million times a day, and if u still not show them any response they will close the account. At least BoA does that.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s American Express, and it’s the authorized user card.  My wife applied for the card in her name and got a 2nd card in my name, and had to enter my Social Security Number. 

I don’t need/want the card, and not sure how the whole authorized user thing shows-up on my own credit score/report, so was just considering not even activating it in the hopes that it’d never hit my credit report, it’d just disappear :-)

If she has to call and cancel it,  then I don’t really wanna have that open account, and then closed 14 days later scenario appear on my card on my report.

Message 4 of 14
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Pulling an "ostrich" and hiding your head in the sand is not the way to handle this. I would just call AMEX and discuss. 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not suggesting anything sneaky or ostrich-like, just curious to know what happens (process-wise) as talking with American Express customer service doesn’t always help the situation, just triggers them to try an corner you into keeping the account.  They're not in the business of letting people off the hook for getting cold feet :-)

Message 6 of 14
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Im confused, I am assuming the account is not getting closed. You just dont want the AU card, right? Seems pretty cut and dry for me. 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

in my experience amex is very bad about stopping reporting auth cards to credit even after they have been cancelled.  Why would you want to cancel an american express reporting to your credit though?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, ngerasimatos that’s correct, I don’t want the authorized user card, and I just assumed if I never activated it then it’d never show-up on my credit report, I wasn’t sure so figured I’d ask the myfico experts here  :-)

so if I don’t want the authorized user card, what do you suggest?  should I just call and cancel it?  you said it seems cut & dry, thanks

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditaddict, I just don’t want the authorized user card, I have plenty of other cards already, no need for more  :-)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.